What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 IFR panels

IFR Grand Rapids Panel

Duel GRT Horizon I EFIS' displays with WASS GPS and Weather and Graphics Engine Monitor (EIS 6000), GRT Sport EFIS with self contained second AHRS, SL30 with built in ILS displayed on Horizon I duel EFIS, GNC 300XL IFR certified GPS/COMM, GTX 300 Mode S Transponder with traffic displayed on Horizon I duel EFIS, PM8000SR Intercom with Satillite Radio, TruTrak DigiFlight II VSGV Autopilot. Panel built by SteinAir (great bunch of people).

http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=panelinstalled1bl4.jpg

Russ Daves
N710RV Reserved
Hoping to fly to OSH2006

Last edited:
Little more info

andyrv said:
My mistake here. I meant to say precision approach certified and not just WAAS. The GNS-480 is approved for precision approach (TSO-146a). The Freeflight systems WAAS gps module (1201/1203) is not approved for precision GPS approach.

Andy

Andy, after futher investigation, it appears we are both right :).

The Freeflight *is* certified for WAAS and "Class 2" approaches (LNAV/VNAV), but it is not "Class 3" (LPV). It does however conform to the TSO-145a spec, which is half of the equation.

The 480 is the *only* certified device that is "Class 3" certified. The Freeflight is suppose to be later this year.

RV-10 IFR Panel

On Wednesday and I came home to a few boxes sitting on my front porch. My panel from Aerocrafters showed up with the PMA8000B,GNS430,SL-40, and GTX330 pre-wired. Aerocrafters did a great job and stayed on schedule. I am still waiting for the center console but I should have that this week. Now the fun begins, wiring!!!

I will have Cheltons on the left and Grand Rapids on the right. Dual battery, dual AHRS system. People ask from time to time, where are your round backup gauges and I keep telling them, do you carry around a slide rule with your laptop PC!! I will also have a 396 as a backup as well. I haven't received the Chelton or Grand Rapids screens but expect them anyday now.

Here is a question for everyone, is it possible to send the NAV data to both the Chelton and the Grand Rapids from the 430 and be tuning them on each screen?

61289574-L.jpg

Last edited:
Answer - need more data?

ScottSchmidt said:
Here is a question for everyone, is it possible to send the NAV data to both the Chelton and the Grand Rapids from the 430 and be tuning them on each screen?

Scott, what the heck are you asking? NAV data? From the 430? Are you talking about the ARINC 429 nav signals or the low level left/right/up/down signals? Did you pay the big bucks and get the ARINC convertor for both the Chelton and the GRT? As for the low level signals, don't think the Chelton nor the GRT supports those directly.

or

Are you talking about "tuning" the radio from both? The 430 doesn't have the ability to be remote tuned I don't believe.

As you can see, I'm not sure how to answer your question. Can ya help us out here?

aadamson said:
Scott, what the heck are you asking? NAV data? From the 430? Are you talking about the ARINC 429 nav signals or the low level left/right/up/down signals? Did you pay the big bucks and get the ARINC convertor for both the Chelton and the GRT? As for the low level signals, don't think the Chelton nor the GRT supports those directly.

or

Are you talking about "tuning" the radio from both? The 430 doesn't have the ability to be remote tuned I don't believe.

As you can see, I'm not sure how to answer your question. Can ya help us out here?

Yes, I have ordered the ARINC converter for both the Chelton and the Grand Rapids. My question, is can send the NAV information from the 430 to the Chelton and the Grand Rapids at the same time. For example, can I fly an ILS and have both the Chelton and the Grand Rapids displaying the localizer and glideslope on each HSI respectively? Or do I need to switch between one or the other?
-Scott

Hmm

ScottSchmidt said:
Yes, I have ordered the ARINC converter for both the Chelton and the Grand Rapids. My question, is can send the NAV information from the 430 to the Chelton and the Grand Rapids at the same time. For example, can I fly an ILS and have both the Chelton and the Grand Rapids displaying the localizer and glideslope on each HSI respectively? Or do I need to switch between one or the other?
-Scott

Scott,

I'll have to do a little digging, but I believe you can... I think ARINC 429 can support more that one listener at a time. What I don't know is how/if is also sends replies. If it is also a sender and not just a listener, then you might have problems with 2 on the "buss" at the same time. Which command does the sender (430) listen to (Chelton & GRT). I'd give Josh a call at D2A as see what he can tell you, or probably better, I'd call Garmin support.

ScottSchmidt said:

I'm bored here at work, this place is a ghost town today, and reading back thru some old threads.

Scott, so what's the verdict in the Chelton vs. GRT debate?

Now that you've got some hours behind both the Chelton and GRT system with the 430, can you tell us something about the benefits/limitations of each? I imagine that with some of the serious cross country flying you have done you would have the most insight into the nuances of each system...when flying your particular missions of course.
-John
Planning to build an RV....someday :rolleyes:

ScottSchmidt said:
-Scott
My understanding of ARINC 429 is that it supports multiple "listeners", just like other serial protocols like RS-232, and that no more than 20 "listeners" can be on a single line, with onl one "transmitter" allowed.

TODR

Back