What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Cowl Trimming

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
How much material are -10 builders typically trimming from the rear portion of the cowling when fitting it? Anyone got a dimension from the front cowling flange to the firewall?

RV-10 cowling trim

DO NOT trim off material from the back of the cowl UNTIL you have fitted the cowl with the excess sticking past the firewall. If you follow the plans it works out great.

Take a piece of 2" wide masking tape----I like the blue stuff----and put it on the fuse with the edge EXACTLY on the edge of the fuse where the cowling will mate up. Run it all the way up one side and over and down the other side.

You now will have a reference line----the far edge of the tape,2" back from the break line---- to measure from when the cowling is on, before you start to trim.

Also protects fuse from scuffing.

Mike

I'm jigging up the mounts for a Subaru so I have no reference to go by. Closest I can figure is the cowl is 41.6 inches from firewall face to the spinner gap which means about 2 inches must be trimmed from the cowl rear edge. Is this amount about right?

Back