What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Baggage area weight?

BobTurner

Well Known Member
The W&B info that came with my RV-10 (finish kit delivered late 2009) said "Maximum baggage area weight - 150 lbs". I even put a placard back there. But I see Vans is now advertising on their web site a maximum weight of 100 lbs.

Does anyone know why the change? Does this apply retroactively? (no SB that I know of).

The W&B info that came with my RV-10 (finish kit delivered late 2009) said "Maximum baggage area weight - 150 lbs". I even put a placard back there. But I see Vans is now advertising on their web site a maximum weight of 100 lbs.

Does anyone know why the change? Does this apply retroactively? (no SB that I know of).

Bob, I am pretty sure it has always been spec'ed at 100 lbs.

Is it possible you are mistaken? And if not, can you point me to the document that lists it at 150 lbs?

Baggage weight

"For the Rv-10, the maximum permissible baggage limit is 150lbs."

Located in the Maximum Baggage Weight section on page 2 of Weight and Balance section. W&B Rv-10 .doc dated 2/4/05.

I have been wondering this same thing after reading this. Has there been an official change? This came with my finish kit in late 2011.

Last edited:
"For the Rv-10, the maximum permissible baggage limit is 150lbs."

Located in the Maximum Baggage Weight section on page 2 of Weight and Balance section. W&B Rv-10 .doc dated 2/4/05.

I have been wondering this same thing after reading this. Has there been an official change? This came with my finish kit in late 2011.

Thanks.
I will look into it.

Unless you guys are loading gold bars?..it is hard to managing how you can load that much up! :D

Just a thought, but maybe ask VANS? Literally this week I fitted the placard with 100lb quoted. Going to be a bit miffed if it is actually 150lb :mad:

Just a thought, but maybe ask VANS? Literally this week I fitted the placard with 100lb quoted. Going to be a bit miffed if it is actually 150lb :mad:

Already done! See the above post by rvbullder2002. Even though any opinions expressed are his own and not those of his employer, his facts come from the mothership ;)

Last edited:
100 for me and N410RV

I just recalled that I might have a picture of the company RV-10 and a placard for the baggage area. Here it is. I've got 100# on mine but I don't recall where I got it.
RV101554.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's not a structural limitation, just a good max for most W&B situations. Bottom line, your W&B has to work no matter how much you put back there.

I'm pretty sure it's not a structural limitation, just a good max for most W&B situations. Bottom line, your W&B has to work no matter how much you put back there.

Not that I'm a structural engineer, but I think you're right. I'm guessing that everyone who has built an RV10 has had to crawl into the baggage door and sit in the baggage area... and I'm "slightly" over 150.

Not that I'm a structural engineer, but I think you're right. I'm guessing that everyone who has built an RV10 has had to crawl into the baggage door and sit in the baggage area... and I'm "slightly" over 150.

...... but you're not pulling 4g.......

Actually, with just one or two people up front, 150 lbs in baggage puts my cg just about in the middle of the allowed range. This might be, say, three 5 gallon containers full of water, as well as bars of gold -:)

Back