What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Runway conditions at Whetstone (H28)?

flybill7

Well Known Member
I'm thinking about landing at the grass field at Whetstone, Montana (H28) to clear customs into Canada next week. There are reports of gopher holes on the runway that might be problems for a small wheel airplane, say 5". Any RV driver landed there lately? Any problems?

I'm thinking about landing at the grass field at Whetstone, Montana (H28) to clear customs into Canada next week. There are reports of gopher holes on the runway that might be problems for a small wheel airplane, say 5". Any RV driver landed there lately? Any problems?
I have not been to Whetstone for 20yrs, but even then it was in poor shape, and doubt it has improved. In Sept 2020 I was into Ross over at Coutts and it was not great, but passable, for a grass strip. Whetstone is a long distance call out for customs, and you may or may not get the service in a timely manner whereas Coutts is right near a major land boarder crossing and they are very punctual for clearing you at the appointed time.

All of that said it is only another ~40NM to Lethbridge from Whetstone, which has a much larger and more convenient Customs clearance right on site and large paved runways, so I would fly to there, as there is no particular reason you need to clear right at the boarder as opposed to your first stop being at CYQL. 40NM is not that much risk that you would have to put down "unplanned" which is always a consideration when crossing in either direction.

We flew into there last June and it is a fairly rough grass strip but we did it in an RV-8A and RV-10. We didn't hit any big holes but saw a few.

Back