What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Trim Wedge Attachment (Type Tape)

Tcheairs

Well Known Member
Got to re do my rudder trim wooden wedge (which finally left me inflight) from my RV7A. I know I will need to test by removing, sanding and re attaching until the "ball" is centered in cruise flight. I'm concerned that double faced tape might lift my paint and I was wondering if the wedge would stay attached if I used painter's masking tape or something with less aggressive adhesive. I know Duct Tape would hold but I'd really be risking my paint by using that.

I'm re attaching a 6" tapered wedge fashioned after was what was on there before. I've read all of the threads about wheel fairing rigging issues and bungee setups, but the wooden wedge works great so I'd like to stick with that system.

Any suggestions on attachment? I have touchup paint for the permanent attachment.

Thanks

While I haven't used it to attach a trim wedge, I have used 3M No-Residue Duct Tape to seal up the canopy edge when I wash the plane. It sticks very well and truly doesn't leave a residue or pull up the paint when you remove it. Our local Home Depot has it in stock, and Amazon has it as well.

No wedge…

I fashioned a “trim plate” for a buddies -7A big rudder. 2” @ 40`took out 1/2 ball of yaw.

Mounts under the tail strobe.

Attachments

• IMG_5024.jpg
    IMG_5024.jpg
    654.4 KB · Views: 94
Proseal/wood wedge

I went the wood wedge route, flight tests/adjustments with double sided tape, final install after seal/paint using Proseal. Its there for life.

I've been using carpet tape. No issue lifting my paint when I swapped my wood wedge for a 3D printed one.

Tape removal

I didn't have trouble or paint peel, but I also didn't use a high grade tape.I used a piece of light monofilament fishing line to work it back off, and I did use a small piece of electrical tape over the leading edge to prevent peel off during the test flights. Don't leave tape on long..only took one trimming to define final size.

Trim Tab - Tape

If you use VHB tape it won't come away, warm gently as you attach, and if you do need to remove just heat with a heat gun and the tape lets go. It shouldn't leave any residue either.
Its what they use to attach the badges on cars.

Back