What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rudder tip fairing

daveyator

Well Known Member
Just wondering how accurate a fit I should expect on the r-1206 tip fairing. The cutout on mine is not symmetrical. Consequently, when it sits down flush with the skin in one side, there is a gap of about 2mm along the rear section on the other side for about the rearmost 2-3 inches. I thought about trying to even it up by sanding, but I'm worried that I will find myself chasing the error backwards and forwards, possibly making the problem worse. Any thoughts?

Dave Hastwell

Sand away!

Dave,
I had to sand mine also. Working from a (poor) memory, but I think it was the same piece that stood up. As I recall they give you a dimension from the "step" and I drew a mark all around and sanded to it. Also, the resin flows into the corner of the "step" at manufacture, so I used the square end of a file to shave it out so that the piece fit down nicely against the skin with hardly a crack or indent between the cap and the top of the skin. Hope this is helpful.
All the best,
Dave Welch

Back