What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rubber channel below HS

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
Does anyone know or can remember if the 12' piece of rubber channel, that one gets with the kit, will be long enough for both wings as well as the two shorter pieces needed under the HS?

Long time ago and I dont remember installing that rubber under the HS (I will have to check today at the airport) but I do know that whatever came with the kit was enough to do what was on the drawings i.e. I did not have to buy more rubber.
Figs

If not, it's easy to do in glass.

Attachments

• Emp Fairing Lower.jpg
    Emp Fairing Lower.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 140
My 10 they gave me rubber for that. On the 6, they gave no rubber and instructed us to make it a tight fit, which is what I did. On the 10, the rubber blew off when doing VNE testing; found it gone on the following pre-flight. Had to go back and add weatherstrip adhesive to hold it on. Not sure it is a better solution.

Last edited:
I had plenty

Does anyone know or can remember if the 12' piece of rubber channel, that one gets with the kit, will be long enough for both wings as well as the two shorter pieces needed under the HS?

I had enough to do the wings and tail of my 9A.

I see a wide range of variations listed here.

On my "6" the rubber channel Vans issued in the kit for the wing roots is quite different to the small "U" channel they issued for under the HS. The rubber for the wing is a "Y" section and would be too big to use under the HS.

Typically anything Vans provided was sufficient to build the plane and no more - but at least it was as much as you needed and no less.

Thank you everyone. Just to clarify for those who does not know. The rubber under the HS is the same one used on the wing root but trimmed as per the instructions.

Jim Frisbie

I believe that strip is more than a gap filler.
It is the junction of one piece of aluminum edge on to the bottom surface of the skin.
I would recommend using it

Jim Frisbie
RV 9A 900hrs sold
RV 10 close to completion
EAA tech C chapt 105

Back