What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotec TBI (throttle body injection) vs traditional fuel injection

rockyfatcat

I posted this in another thread and got zero responses. I have been looking at https://www.rotecaerosport.com/tbi-48-4-5 this particular TBI, is an aerobatic replacement for the O-360 carburetor.

I am interested to see what others have to say. It seems to be a simpler and less expensive ($910.00) solution.

According to reports, It is simpler and more fuel efficient.

The Rotec did not work for me. Mine was not a typical install. There is a large quantity of info on this site. Do a good search. There are some people here who've made it work for them. It is not a bolt on and go. Takes a bunch of work to get to reliable.
Good luck.

FWIW I helped Dad put a Rotec on to replace his ancient and worn out 20+ year old Ellison TBI. After 18 months of tinkering he ripped the Rotec out and put on a standard carb, and is much happier.

I went the other way with EFI; we'll see how that works out (hopefully within the next year).

YMMV...

FWIW, I haven’t heard of anyone that’s been happy with a Rotec TBI. I’m sure they are out there, just haven’t run across them. Ellison TBIs on the other hand..people love them until they have problems and can’t get them serviced.

Somebody on the forum recently was selling a NOS Ellison.

It’s a shame that a good substitute for Ellison hasn’t been found. Such a simple and reliable piece of equipment. You would think somebody else could get it right.

It’s a shame that a good substitute for Ellison hasn’t been found. Such a simple and reliable piece of equipment. You would think somebody else could get it right.
What is more shameful IMO is that guy bought the business from Ben Ellison and then after awhile closed everything down. All of that knowledge, tooling, and spare parts just put on the shelf. I understand the liability situation, and he prolly had other good reasons, but it still seems like a shame. Oh well.

Back