What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Roll bar handles

Captain Avgas

Well Known Member
I believe some-one manufactures a set of 2 handles that bolt onto the rV7 roll bar. This provides the pilot and passenger with something to hold onto when climbing in and out of the plane. I've checked the archives but I can't find anything on this but I know it exists (or at least it used to exist).

Does anyone know who manufactures these handles. Does anyone use these or similar handles and would they recommend them.

I looked at those and like the idea for obvious reasons. But I wonder about two things:

Does drilling mounting holes in the rollbar potentially weaken the rollbar in the event of a tipover?

And does allowing someone to pull their full weight up with the handle potentially allow a lot of stress on the windscreen to front rollbar attachment?

Just thinkin'.

Welded Handles

On my RV-8, I wanted something more substantial. I ordered 18" of 5/16" 4130 solid rod(Not Tube). I drilled four holes through both sides of the roll bar at the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions, had a local custom cycle shop bend and weld the handles into the roll bar and powder coated the roll bar. This installation is much more solid than screw on handles and looks better, too. It cost more than the screw in handles, but it was worth every penny.

Robby Knox

On my 6A I installed one handle (aircraft extras) on the pax side and then discovered that one was all I need. I am tall and did not need anything else directly in front of my forehead and the right handle is not very far away in an RV. This arrangement also prevents someone from placing all their weight on the rollbar. Some of you may not be able to stand the lack of symmetry though. I still have the other handle in inventory just in case. Randy-halfway thru the 40 hours.

Roll Bar Handles

Hi Bob,

I fitted a pair of the handles as sold by "Aircraft Extras" rather than welding some bent up solid handles as I had already painted and installed my roll bar when i realised the handles would be ....um...handy.

Have no regrets after 200 hours. Ask Simon Bromiley what he thinks.

Cheers

Martin in Oz

JD air makes a really nice set. Darwin Barrie has the prototypes on his grand champion RV7.

I have a set on the shelf that I ordered from him but haven't decided yet if I'll install on my RV7 or not. I think I'm going to wait until I'm flying to see if I really want them or if I can crawl in and out without undue fuss.

At $100 a set they are pretty spendy, but they are very robust and have both the curvature and radius of the roll bar milled into the base. They also come with a 3d printed template/drill guide to get the position and hole spacing right.

I was looking at these grab handles but elected not not install them realizing my head is located so close to them.

They work great. I installed them (AircraftExtras) on my slider 6 and 8.
On the SBS, one hand on the handle and the other on the rollbar brace to lift yourself up.
On the 8, about 10 and 2 o'clock. Grab 'em both and pull yourself up.
Install so they just clear the canopy bow, and they won't intrude on your "headspace".

Attachments

• IMG_7133.jpg
    IMG_7133.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_1622.jpg
    100_1622.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Grab handles

I wish someone would invent a handle that doesn't require drilling the roll bar. Maybe something that clamps?

My jeep has roll bar grab handles that velcro on. I've considered something like that for the center brace. A lot of Citations have a grab handle on the center windshield post and it works pretty good there.

Center brace handle

My jeep has roll bar grab handles that velcro on. I've considered something like that for the center brace. A lot of Citations have a grab handle on the center windshield post and it works pretty good there.

That's a good idea. This is what I was thinking.
Folding Handle
A socket is needed clamped to the Roll Bar brace. Fold it out when needed.

Last edited:
Back