What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RIP Bruce Bohannon, 06/21/1958 - 07/24/2024

So sad to hear. Bruce did my RV transition training as well. Not only was he a great pilot and instructor, he was QUITE the character. He will be missed by many in the flying community.

I did my RV transition training with Bruce. Fantastic pilot and instructor. And a wonderful character! He will be missed.

Fair winds and following seas Bruce.

Some of the best and most valuable training I’ve got to experience in my flying journey. Bruce was quite the character and one in a million. He will be missed.

Attachments

• FCEA03AD-DE59-4679-9879-94C6FD2206C2.jpeg
    FCEA03AD-DE59-4679-9879-94C6FD2206C2.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 135
  • CE008963-7404-4995-A32D-016728F46D77.jpeg
    CE008963-7404-4995-A32D-016728F46D77.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 132
We have truly lost a legend of aviation ! I am so honored to have received my RV8 endorsement from him and just to meet with him!!! Blue skies and tailwinds my friend , enjoy your new high altitude record!!!!!

Bruce was selling his Mooney J earlier this year and my wife called him to get some basic info and see if we could get a copy of the logs. I could overhear the conversation and he seemed like quite the character - a really nice and funny guy. One of the favorite line I heard was that while the aircraft needed paint, but it was not so bad the the dog would bite at it when you taxi by!

I'm sorry to hear about his passing.

I was just thinking about calling him to see how he held up during all the bad weather his area has had lately. I'm keenly feeling the loss. An aviation legend, and a good friend. Strong tailwinds to heaven, my friend. I will always remember the lessons you taught me.
TTT262.JPG
TTT077.JPG

Bruce flew to Atlanta to do my first flight in "sexy legs", my RV8 FB Slider, November 1st 22!
I replaced his broken canopy on his 8 in payment. And his control cables for him!
He was so happy he bought me a $300 bottle of Don Julio....we downed it between the next two nights!
Larger than life guy. I nicknamed him "my lifesaver".
Damn!

IMG_9505.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3770.jpeg
    IMG_3770.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_9479.jpeg
    IMG_9479.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Dang! So sorry to hear this. Bruce ranks as one of my all-time favorite instructors - and a great guy overall. Excellent teaching skills, good sense of humor, and a heart for flying and teaching us "young 'uns." The world is a better place for him having been here...

IMG_0351.jpeg

I remember meeting him at Sun n Fun when I was a kid during the time-to-climb record attempts. I had a poster of Pushy Galore on my wall growing up.

When I bought my RV, insurance wanted 25 hours of dual in an RV4 or something absurd. I emailed Bruce and 30 seconds later my phone rang. "Hey, this is Bruce Bohannon." I was speechless and star struck. He said to come on out for some dual in the RV8, and he'd handle my insurance company. Sure as shit, about two hours in the 8 and a phone call, they approved me.

I'll share below some quotes which I thought were hilarious, and I don't think he'd mind me sharing -

"When the nuclear apocalypse eventually comes, the only thing left will be cockroaches and RV-8 landing gear."

"I quit drinkin' for a while, but the reality was too much. I don't understand why anyone would want to live like that." -upon seeing me crack open a NA beer in his drive way, a few years sober

"Don't jerk the stick. If you jerk the stick, you'll make me horny and you might not like what happens next."

"Quit flyin' straight and level. I'm getting sick back here."

"Insurance was too expensive so I don't carry it anymore."

"Can you smell that? Some whiner I had two weeks ago said my cigarette smoke was making him sick so I sent him home." -from the back seat of the 8 taxiing back to departure with the canopy cracked and a lit American Spirit

As colorful as a character as he was, I learned more about flying that weekend than I had in the previous 12 years since I started this journey.

Blue skies, Bruce.

L1004543.jpg

PXL_20220501_135605575.jpg
PXL_20220501_183750544.jpg
PXL_20220501_191358102.jpg
PXL_20220502_171307472.jpg

Knowing this was coming, I had the privilege to sit down with Bruce for a few hours 3 weeks ago and enjoy a few adult beverages. It was nice to pretend everything was normal and enjoy a great evening. His spirits were high, he enjoyed his life, his friends, and everything he had accomplished.

RIP Bruce, you'll be greatly missed brother.

Bruce was a friend of over 40 years. To express his impact on the lives that touched his is inexpressible. I was privileged to attend his Master Pilot Certificate award presentation where he was accompanied by his very good friends, Mike Barksdale and life long friend, Hoot Gibson.

It was hard to watch him go and harder to be without him.
1722025726246.png

Bruce was a legend of a man. Larger than life. The Marlboro man was modeled after Bruce. "You don't mind if I have a smoke back here?, there's a negative pressure in the back of the 8 and you'd never know even know I was smoking" 🚬 Bruce was an original, not concerned with how you or anyone else felt. Here's how its done seemed to be his style. When Chuck Norris needed to learn how to fly a tail wheel he called Bruce. Like many here, I did the same. For sure, Bruce made me a better pilot, might have even saved my life with his "it's easy, just keep it straight" attitude. God speed Bruce Bohannon.
IMG_0363 Copy.JPG

I went out to do my transition training with Bruce in 2021. The morning we met at his place, he wore a button down shirt with a breast pocket stuffed and bulging with little golf pencils.

We briefed the flight and preflighted, and the whole time this struck me as odd, but I never asked him why.

After some basic maneuvers, we started on some aerobatics. He asked me to do a point roll, which was simple enough for me, but all my previous training had been in a super decathlon. Well as I'm going from 90* to inverted he yells "Don't push!" but he was already too late. I push for level inverted, and 100 golf pencils go rocketing around the cockpit. He immediately lights up a cigarette, and punished me with that for the rest of the week. For a year he said he was still finding pencils in the plane.

We became fast friends, and I kept in touch with him over the last few years. He was the best instructor I've ever had, and the coolest of the cool. He will be missed.

Dear Van's Air Force, my name is Jen Barlette and I am Bruce's niece. I just wanted to tell you all that we are so enjoying your stories and pictures - please keep them coming. Bruce touched so many people's lives and we are grateful for your kind words.

My dad is the oldest, so I spent my whole life hearing about Bruce's escapades. Aviation is in the Bohannon blood and it passed on to me working as an engineer first on airport trams and then in 135 private aviation and 142 aviation training.

Bruce taught me to fly, to take risks, to have fun doing it. Sounds like he did the same for you. I wish you all clear skies...keep 'em flyin'.

Attachments

• 20240726_200827.jpg
    20240726_200827.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 35
Mine is but one of many similar tales of tailwheel training with Bruce. The first day we spent in the Cub and one of his friends met us at lunch and asked if he could come over after work to try out his new pistol. "Sure". We finished for the day, and like others, I was offered a beer and we spent a few hours shooting cans off the hangar apron with a suppressed Ruger pistol and telling stories (and man, he had some stories!). Oh, I was going to like this training! The next day we took up the 8, as he had somehow come to the conclusion that I was not going to kill us both. Got the same question about smoking. "sure". (I never smelled anything except my helmet fire!) He said we would need to quit early as he had a golf date with another buddy and I was invited if I wanted to come along. "Sure!". So, we played some "whack-f**k!" as he called it and then had BBQ (and beers of course) at the friend's house. I finished up the next day and we celebrated with more beer (seemed a common theme...). Most fun I've ever had training. I called him a month ago as I had a student candidate and learned he had shut everything down. I connected the dots. Such a loss. I sure would have liked to hang out again and learn more with Bruce. Condolences to the family (and "Smokeless" the hangar cat (previously known as "Smokey"... before the operation...)).

While I did not get training from Bruce, a friend from the airport did a couple of years ago and shred the experiences (good ones).

I remember him as being such a laid back and approachable guy, MANY YEARS AGO at Oshkosh.

What I remember most though is a time to climb effort in the "Exxon Tiger" at SnF one year where I think he lost the engine after several thousand feet of the climb.
An amazing, super smooth, "deadstick" landing with no prop turning looked effortless.

Even with this surprise, it seemed that he was "cool as a cucumber". "No biggie."

When I finished building my RV-8, I had 0.1 hours in tailwheel airplanes. I wanted to fly my airplane's first flight and I was very interested in not killing myself while doing it. So like many others, I called Bruce. His ground school was thorough and effective, and was taught in a way that was both easy to comprehend and to remember. He talked through the important concepts always holding a baseball bat in his left hand for the stability demonstrations, and the large flyswatter in his right for the wasps and yellow jackets. He must have killed 10 wasps with that flyswatter without missing a beat in his lecture. We hopped in the Cub and beat the pattern up for a while. I tried to repeat in the air what he had just told me on the ground, and I guess it worked because we quickly jumped in the RV-8. After the requisite training was complete I told him of my plan to conduct my first flight, including my hope of not dying while doing it. He then made me fly a few first flight profiles with many possible failure and malfunction scenarios, and how to handle them without killing myself. On the rtb he asked me to do a challenging maneuver for such a low time RV-8 pilot, an 8-point slow roll. After the manuever he began laughing uncontrollably. Once regaining his composure, and thinking I did something stupid, he said "Well Sir, That was absolutely the best 7-point roll I have ever seen." I wasn't about to argue with him so I put my tail between my legs and hoped I didn't screw up that last landing back at Flyin Tiger field. He was a character and a great pilot. This strange new world needs more old school Bruce's.
Tailwinds Bruce Bohannon. RIP and KIS.

I was in the market for an RV in TX, and insurance said I needed to get some dual before I could solo. Everyone I asked suggested Bruce, so I called him. Unfortunately when I called him, he said that he couldn't help me. He said he had medical issues that prevented him from flying due to a lifetime of choices he had made. I kind of understood and respectfully expressed my gratitude for him taking my call. I wished him the best and hoped that he would recover. He stayed on the phone with me and explained that it wasn't likely that he would recover. I didn't understand or want to inquire further out of respect. I just offered him some words of encouragement and tried to reassure him that everything would work out. I wish his family the best. Bruce was a legend. He will be missed. R.I.P. Bruce.

Back