What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Right elevator stiffeners problem

Dave Taylor

Well Known Member
I've always heard if something doesn't look right it probably isn't. Looking at the right elevator plans the exploded isometric view clearly shows the E-720A stiffener on the far right side of the elevator facing outboard. I have put my elevator in the same position and clecoed the E720ABCH angle to my elevator and the angle is turned the opposite direction. I've tried clecoing the angle in the other direction but the holes don't line up. Any ideas?

Dave if I understand you correctly I had the same issue. It seems Vans had several tail kits produced where several stiffeners were punched opposite. Mine was one of them. It drove me crazy looking at the pieces, since half were in one direction and the others opposite. As long as the holes line up and you have a stiffener for each place press on. Vans said structurally it doesn't matter what direction they are in

You can't cleco them in untill you cut them all out. As you have it in the picture, the outer ends of the stiffeners are on the outer ends of the long stiffener bars, and those go towards the leading edge, not trailing...basicaly yours as pictured are in backwards. It can be tricky, but take a sharpe and mark all the cut lines on the stiffeners then cut them out. Vans has those half holes on the edges to show the start and stop of each tapered edge.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for the reply. If you look closely you will see that yours is opposite from mine. My skin is turned the opposite way. Yours is correct.

Dave if I understand you correctly I had the same issue. It seems Vans had several tail kits produced where several stiffeners were punched opposite. Mine was one of them. It drove me crazy looking at the pieces, since half were in one direction and the others opposite. As long as the holes line up and you have a stiffener for each place press on. Vans said structurally it doesn't matter what direction they are in

You got it right

Thanks for the reply Mike. You hit the nail on the head. Once I cut the angle and turned it the other way it fit perfect. Now I think I know what I'm doing :)

You can't cleco them in untill you cut them all out. As you have it in the picture, the outer ends of the stiffeners are on the outer ends of the long stiffener bars, and those go towards the leading edge, not trailing...basicaly yours as pictured are in backwards. It can be tricky, but take a sharpe and mark all the cut lines on the stiffeners then cut them out. Vans has those half holes on the edges to show the start and stop of each tapered edge.

When you get to the part about cutting up the full size angles (D, E, and F) to made to make the shorter ones (J. K. and L) for the left hand elevator, ignore the measurment they give you on DWG 5. They are wrong and you will have to buy new stiffeners. Ask me how I know :) Whats important is all you are doing is shorting the leading edge of the, the side with the long taper. Measure the distance from the second to last rivet hole to the end of the stiffener on all the stiffeners on the right hand elevator (rudder as well), you will see they are all the same. This gives you the same distance from the folded trailing edge to the aft end of the stiffener. This is the only measurement that matters...clearance. Make all the ones you cut have the same clearance. The reason I mentioned the second rivet hole, is because the shortened stiffeners will be missing the aft most hole! You have to drill this after using the hole in the skin as a guide. Naturaly, you cant do this untill you have already made the overall length proper. I hope I am explaining this right. The E-720 trim detail on DWG5 can be misleading...that x dimention is showen from the second aft hole to the end of the stiffener...technicaly correct, but remember, that aft hole (showen in the detail with th "see note 2") is not there yet! Don't accidentaly start on the third hole back or your stiffers will be a good inch or so short.

Back