What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Return line for fuel tanks

Cholley6

I'm getting close to starting to rivet my fuel tanks for an rv-10. I'm not sure what engine options I am going with yet. In fact I haven't done anything else on the wing kit yet, skipped ahead to avoid LCP.

I'm wanting to future proof my tanks and add ports for return lines while they are open and easy. My main question is exactly where to place them. I have read enough to see they can interfere with the aileron torque tubes or spar hardware. So where do I put them?

Here doesn’t interfere with anything.

IMG_7021.jpg

This works too

If you have access to the RV-14 fuel tank plans (same profile as the RV-10) - they show a return fitting on this end rib. Mine (RV-10) is in line with the supply fitting near the top. Sounds like either location will work.

Sorry for the very blurry picture.

Here is a great way to do it--actually Vans did the hard work! This is in the RV14 plans, but the 10 and the 14 have the same tank end rib.
The VA141 tank bungs are installed so everything clears the flight controls, and are 3/8 NPT. So for right now you can plug it off if you decide to use a mechanical injection. BUT its a BUNCH easier to install the ports now than later.

I dont know if the new 10 plans have the returns in the ribs or not, but its easy to do if you pick up 2 VA141s.

Tom

Attachments

• RV14 RV10 tank rib.png
    RV14 RV10 tank rib.png
    689.6 KB · Views: 119
Here is a great way to do it--actually Vans did the hard work! This is in the RV14 plans, but the 10 and the 14 have the same tank end rib.
The VA141 tank bungs are installed so everything clears the flight controls, and are 3/8 NPT. So for right now you can plug it off if you decide to use a mechanical injection. BUT its a BUNCH easier to install the ports now than later.

I dont know if the new 10 plans have the returns in the ribs or not, but its easy to do if you pick up 2 VA141s.

Tom
Tom,

Do you know the drawing number for the image you posted? I'd like to get my hands on that drawing.... Like Cholley6, we're building a -10.

Does anyone know if the holes in the T-1004 ribs aft of the holes for the vent line are, or can be used for holding the return line?

Thanks,
Mike

I fitted mine the way Tom shows, someone suggested running a tubing return line to the second bay. I can’t do this with this positioning. The stiffener and the fuel sender interfere with getting to the next bay.

Back