What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Respirator question?

PrescottB787

Kit arrives this week I hope. Trying to decide if will prime with AKZO. How much CFM from the compressor do you need to spray it and what is a good respirator to use?

Thanks
Ken

Compressor

Air requirements will depend on the spray gun, but generally 6-8 cfm should be sufficient for priming parts. For respirator get at least P2 cartridge and good ventilation, like outdoors if you are able to.

Respirator

I had my first experience with AKZO today working on the practice kits. I picked up a Hobbyair off eBay that is pretty good for this. I was really surprised at how no-joke AKZO is. I literally had the first edge of the lid pried off the can and I was already smelling it. I sprayed outside and I could still detect a faint odor in the garage an hour later. Definitely protect yourself with this stuff throughout the whole process from prep to cleanup.

I put my notes in my blog here. If anyone has comments, critiques, criticisms, or concerns I'd love to hear them.
https://bolickrv.blogspot.com/2020/04/primer-on-priming.html

Thanks,
Matt

Feedback for Matt

Matt,

If you mount the spray gun holder on the edge of the workbench, either with a clamp or screws, then it will hold the gun securely. It does not need a swivel on the hose for this.

The primer should only be a mist coat that just covers... not too heavy. It looks like you may have it on a bit thick, but hard to tell from photos.

Hobby air

Matt
Paint work looks good. Maybe too thick but hard to tell from a photo.
Gotta love Bon Ami for simplicity. Washed many parts in the house.
I too had some trial and error finding fresh air with my Hobby Air. I had a bright idea to plumb a line into the house for the supply hose. Sweetie said she smelled fumes and I caught a few too. It was pulling so much negative pressure on the house, it sucked fumes under the doors. I moved the compressor to the driveway and the problem went away. :D

Ken
Hobby Air if you can. If not, at least a 3M with #60926 cartidges. If you smell anything, something ain't right and it needs to be addressed immediately. I use the 3M mixing paint then switch to the Hobby Air to spray.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. It was definitely going on too thick. This was all about experimenting and finding ways to screw up on the practice project. I managed to discover what "too thick" looks like and what "too impatient" means when waiting on primer to dry.

I'm planning to bolt the stand to a board but I still would like a swivel so the board doesn't have to sit on the edge of the table. I'm probably just over thinking it and should stop fiddling with it.

Matt

Sundstr?m Respirator

I use a Sundstrom SR100, with an organics filter & a P3 particulate filter. They've got a super soft and compliant silicone half-face mask, which is pretty comfortable to wear. I wore mine for about 5hrs last Saturday alodining & spraying some wing ribs, and aside from a bit of tenderness on the bridge of my nose at the end of the day I didn't notice anything.

Back