What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Request for All Icom A210 owners.......

Mike gain settings.

I tried a variety of settings on the gain and squelch digital controls and was never happy with any of them. Since then have installed a PS Aerocom III. It has the" intellivox" ( a VOX that senses cockpit noise and elevate the threshold above that). It's advertised as the same intercom in the PS8000, not sure about that but it does work very well in my 9 as a 2 place intercom. No adjustments necessary.

We have a PMA8000B along with the A210. Should we have the A210's internal intercom turned off?

Thats what I have, and I'll assume the internal intercom has always been off. It's been a few years since I installed it, and I really don't remember the settings at this point. However, I also run a Garmin SL-40 through the audio panel, and have never used the built in intercoms in either unit.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I removed my A200 and slid in a replacement A210. (Nothing was wrong with the A200, I just got a great deal on the A210.)

I'm still playing with the settings of the A210 but it is sure a nice radio with many features.

Don't expect to install this thing and learn how to use it while flying. There are many features and functions to learn. In my case, I read the manual, installed it, reviewed the manual, flew with it, and am about to review the manual again.

My hat is off to iComm for making this a simple upgrade, unlike Garmin, which seems to want to keep the avionics shops in business by forcing the replacement of the their trays and all the associated wiring.

I removed my A200 and slid in a replacement A210. (Nothing was wrong with the A200, I just got a great deal on the A210.)

Bill,

If I'm reading you correctly, the a210 uses the same wiring harness and tray as the 200? No install or wiring changes?

Thanks,

Tim

frequency input

I really would like this feature, putting the frequencies into the GPS registar stack is usless because everytine you get near a new airport it overwrites.I thought the dual disable on frequency swap was a safety feature to insure you were aware of the xmit frequency but now I realize it is because they do not know what works best.

If I'm reading you correctly, the a210 uses the same wiring harness and tray as the 200? No install or wiring changes?

My understanding is that you can just plug the 210 in and it will work in any system that had a working 200. You won't get the frequency input from your GPS, of course, you would have to add a line to your GPS for that.

@rdwrv4, I'm not sure I understand you... I find it to be a great benefit that the frequencies in my backup slot always reflect the nearest airport. Sometimes I'm near two places and it picks the wrong one, but I can just select the correct one on my GPS and it updates the frequencies.

to snowflake

I would like it to load a touched frequency on the Garmin Aera into the standby on the Radio like the description on the 1st post. I am flying between multiple airspaces now and never sure what airport I got.even so it is more turns and strokes than putting it in manually. I did talk to tech suport and he thought a setting on the garmin might do it I have software 1.63.001 please advise
Robin

It works just fine with the latest firmware and you can push frequencies anytime you want directly into the standby.

You must use NMEA and VHF out setting on your Garmin handheld.

As Brantel says, that's how it works with my Aera 500 and iCom 210. Tap airport, wait a few seconds, and frequencies show up on radio. It takes a little time for the data stream from the garmin to get into the standby on the radio it seems... I guess the radio waits for a couple of data packets as a double-check?

I am going to check and thank you

It still fills the GPS "register"too? I have mine on Nema and VHF out too the Rs232 updates my trutrack Gemini as well. The ICOM tech said it would only work with the GPS "registar": I am going to Tel Aviv tomorrow so it will have to wait a couple of day to check it

It still fills the GPS "register"too? I have mine on Nema and VHF out too the Rs232 updates my trutrack Gemini as well. The ICOM tech said it would only work with the GPS "registar": I am going to Tel Aviv tomorrow so it will have to wait a couple of day to check it

The original firmware only filled the GPS register. The latest firmware fills the GPS register and also allows you to PUSH frequencies on demand.

We worked hard to get ICOM to change the firmware to get the radio to work properly.

The A210 with the latest firmware is functionally equivalent to an SL-40.

A210 struggles

I'm still playing with the settings of the A210 but it is sure a nice radio with many features.

Don't expect to install this thing and learn how to use it while flying. There are many features and functions to learn. In my case, I read the manual, installed it, reviewed the manual, flew with it, and am about to review the manual again.

My hat is off to iComm for making this a simple upgrade, unlike Garmin, which seems to want to keep the avionics shops in business by forcing the replacement of the their trays and all the associated wiring.

Ok Bill, Brian and everyone posting here....I am struggling. I bought the 210 after years of good service with my 200. Realized after studying the diagrams that it appeared to be an easy switch over. The Radio powers up and initially appeared to work....yet I cannot hear myself transmit and I cannot receive any transmissions from others. I could see the transmit and receive indicators on the display....simply no sound. I am using an external intercom as I had with the 200. Even though I could not hear....The radio was getting a signal out as the FBO could here the click and I could activate the runway lights.
I contacted ICOM and they had me reset the radio 1st.....no luck. I contacted them again and found that I had not installed a grounding wire in pin location #7 and #8....although I did not have them with the 200 and everything was fine. So, I installed them in #7 and #8.....put the radio in....still not working and now the indicators when I transmit and recieve are gone.
I am stumped and feel my wiring is as it is needed. I am almost ready to find a shop to make a new harness for me as I am tired of messing with it and simply want to safely get in the air.......
Anyone with ideas and a phone number to call and discuss?
Thanks in advance
Doug

Doug,

Sounds like a wiring issue...I would double, triple check that what you have matches the installation manual.

It is easy to get the pins in the wrong place or forget a jumper or something similar.

PS: Bell Tailwheel Fork still going strong!

Last edited:
fork and wires

Thanks Brian for the tail fork comment.
I will pull the radio and triple check things when it warms up this Friday....
THanks
DOug

Thanks Brian for the tail fork comment.
I will pull the radio and triple check things when it warms up this Friday....
THanks
DOug

And double check that ribbon tape (from front panel to unit). Especially if it was installed while cold. A friend had some problems such as yours. I had a spare tape, since they were about a dollar apiece, and that solved it.

Hi Doug-

I had exactly the same problem that took me a long time to figure out b/c I assumed I had wired something incorrectly even though SteinAir told me exactly how to wire it up to connect to my Flightcom intercom (for which they made me a harness). I too could see the Rx and Tx indicators on the screen, just couldn't hear sound or transmit my voice. I too tried the extra ground wires but that didn't seem to make a difference. In fact, they are now just bundled to the back of my harness and not connected to anything at all.

What I finally found is that when inserting the radio in the tray, I was not getting the radio fully seated into the harness connector. What I had to do was to insert a washer under each screw of the harness connector at the back of the tray (between the tray and the connector). What this effectively did was move the connector farther aft thus allowing it to go farther into the radio when the radio was pushed into the tray. All of a sudden, problem solved.

Not sure if this will solve your problem, but it's worth a shot. Feel free to send me a pm if you need more clarification and/or I can give a # to call. I remember how frustrating it was!

Hope this helps.

Steve

BTW, another customer of your Dad's who is greatly missed. Talked to him on the phone once last year when he called me from his home to make sure I got what I needed. What a great guy!

Ok Bill, Brian and everyone posting here....I am struggling. I bought the 210 after years of good service with my 200. Realized after studying the diagrams that it appeared to be an easy switch over. The Radio powers up and initially appeared to work....yet I cannot hear myself transmit and I cannot receive any transmissions from others. I could see the transmit and receive indicators on the display....simply no sound. I am using an external intercom as I had with the 200. Even though I could not hear....The radio was getting a signal out as the FBO could here the click and I could activate the runway lights.
I contacted ICOM and they had me reset the radio 1st.....no luck. I contacted them again and found that I had not installed a grounding wire in pin location #7 and #8....although I did not have them with the 200 and everything was fine. So, I installed them in #7 and #8.....put the radio in....still not working and now the indicators when I transmit and recieve are gone.
I am stumped and feel my wiring is as it is needed. I am almost ready to find a shop to make a new harness for me as I am tired of messing with it and simply want to safely get in the air.......
Anyone with ideas and a phone number to call and discuss?
Thanks in advance
Doug

Last edited:
Contact ICOM for an RA# and send it in to them. They will upgrade it and send it back. Some authorized repair/avionics shops might also be able to do it.

It requires some special software to load the firmware and to check the non-user level settings/performance.

Last edited:
THanks

Mr. Adamson and Steve.....thanks for the input on the ribbon tape. I read all the concerns about being extremly careful with it and thought I have been. Not sure how you would change it as one end is inside the radio....unless you take it apart as well. Anyway I will recheck its condition. Also, I will try the washer trick.
Thanks for the tips guys.....I'll report back.
Doug

Steve...appreciate the comment about Dad. He flew with me the last time I was up before taking the wings off the 8 last year. 12 months later I flew a week ago for the 1st time (no radio) and he was there with me in spirit for sure. Mom is fired up to cary on the tail wheel forks.....

Mr. Adamson and Steve.....thanks for the input on the ribbon tape. I read all the concerns about being extremly careful with it and thought I have been. Not sure how you would change it as one end is inside the radio....unless you take it apart as well. Anyway I will recheck its condition. Also, I will try the washer trick.
Thanks for the tips guys.....I'll report back.
Doug

You just unscrew & pull the top off. Be sure to just pull the ribbon tape on the front panel, not the plastic that's around it. I had ruined my own, by stuffing it in, in cold weather.

Doug,

The ribbon cable is easy to change but you do have to remove the cover.

Only do this however if it looks damaged. Just make sure it is seated good.

As long as you are carefull, the ribbon cable should be fine.

The washer trick may do it if you have a thick panel or a gap between the panel and the tray.

Last edited:
Question

I have a chance to buy a A210 that was one of the first produced. It is still in the box, never installed at a good price. The firmware is most likely rev. 1.

Have there been any hardware changes since then, or does it just need an update ?

Bruce, I would call iCom and find out for sure. Get the serial number and give it to them and they could tell you what it shipped with (sw/hw).

One hardware change i'm aware of is that they made a longer ribbon cable sometime after I bought mine. When I took mine in for a firmware update (as luck would have it, I have an iCom service center within driving distance in Delta, BC), they told me about it and upgraded it for free. I asked for and was given a spare at the same time. If you remove your radio a few times during upgrades, etc. you'll eventually wear off one of the contacts on the end.

Check those contacts every time before you plug the cable in... The copper foils will wear out and eventually peel back from the plastic substrate. If that happens, you'll lose contact on that pin and the radio may not work or become intermittent. If it folds off to one side as it folds back, it can jumper an adjacent pin, and that can fry the front panel. The iCom center told me fixing that would probably be a $1200 service.

Install Update

THanks for the ideas to look for. I have successfully transmitted and received as of today. After the comments on here I pulled to radio out of the tray and looked at everything. Tried it outside the tray and it worked fine but I could only transmit and did not get any reception although the indicated said I was. A quick call to ICOM and they had me adjust the internal settings and it worked.
So as of this afternoon's flight I have a working 210.
Now I need to play wiht those adustments. The side tone seemed to b ethe key.

Currently no matter what my volume setting is on the main volume knob, I can here the incoming transmissions too loudly.

On a side note, it was not really safe flying quiet, but it was peaceful!
THanks for the good info guys
Doug

Currently no matter what my volume setting is on the main volume knob, I can here the incoming transmissions too loudly.

Doug

Doug,

There is a setting in the menu that turns off the external volume knob. Do a search here for the answer as several guys have inadvertently hit this one....

EDIT:

I found it.....here

Last edited:
Back