What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing AK-450 ELT - Suggestions?

dbier99

Well Known Member
My RV6 currently has an Amer-King AK-450 which from what I've read has known quality and reliability issues - prompting the FAA to say it should be checked every year until it's replaced. My son is building hours - including night flights - so for peace of mind I'm considering replacing it with a better 406 MHz ELT - but am hoping to find one that isn't too complex to install. Anyone here replaced their AK-450?

Although I like the idea of the unit having GPS - the complexity of feeding it from an existing cockpit source or the cost of a unit with built-in GPS may kill that idea. Also, my current AK-450 has an attached antenna (not externally mounted) - so wondering about the viability of a unit that doesn't need an externally mounted antenna. So far the only one I've found that has both built-in GPS and built-in broadcast antenna (which is considered a backup) - is the Kannad Integra.

I've heard good things about the ARTEX 345 - which can accept a GPS feed but I think needs an external antenna. Hate to deal with mounting an external antenna - and my slider canopy limits placement options.

Appreciate all input/suggestions.

Last edited:
GPS

While having GPS on your 406 will give a really precise position... don't forget what a 406 without GPS gives you:

1) Actually gets monitored by the system. [121.5 isn't monitored by satellites, hasn't been for years]
2) A 406 non-GPS position accuracy is 4 times better than the old 121.5 system was

While having GPS on your 406 will give a really precise position... don't forget what a 406 without GPS gives you:

1) Actually gets monitored by the system. [121.5 isn't monitored by satellites, hasn't been for years]
2) A 406 non-GPS position accuracy is 4 times better than the old 121.5 system was
Agree - upgrading to 406 is a good thing. Just trying to figure out the best options/method to accomplish it.

ARTEX 345

If you order with the NEMA format option, you can feed it the GPS data from just about anything. If you have a G3X, I think they now offer the aircraft format output as an option (which is the default config for the 345).

IMHO, just install the 345 "stupid" and spend the GPS $ on a PLB. When my PLB battery ages out, I give it to a hiker (and register it!) and buy a new PLB.

ARTEX 345

If you order with the NEMA format option, you can feed it the GPS data from just about anything. If you have a G3X, I think they now offer the aircraft format output as an option (which is the default config for the 345).
We use the ipad/FlyQ setup with the portable Stratus 3 receiver as our main NAV aid.

However we do have a fully updated panel-mounted Garmin GPSmap 496 - Anyone know if that can be set-up to feed GPS data to the Artex 345?

ARTEX 345

Just make sure which NMEA baud rate you choose, etc. When I installed mine, the GTN and G3X had different baud rates. I wanted to use the G3X output because it was much easier to get to than the connector on the back of the GTN in the stack. So double check everything before you order. Making a change afterwards can be quite pricey.

Kannad makes a "retrofit kit" to allow former Ameri-King owners to upgrade rather painlessly to the Kannad 406MHz ELT. Not a bad way to go in terms of saving time and effort.

Given the poor performance of ELTs, whether 121.5 or 406, I’m keeping my ACK-450 until it must be replaced for some reason.

Checking every conditional

My RV6 currently has an Amer-King AK-450 which from what I've read has known quality and reliability issues - prompting the FAA to say it should be checked every year until it's replaced. My son is building hours - including night flights - so for peace of mind I'm considering replacing it with a better 406 MHz ELT - but am hoping to find one that isn't too complex to install. Anyone here replaced their AK-450?.

I’m pretty sure every ELT manufacturer advises to test every year. Seems like a good idea.

Last edited:
NO ACK!!!

Anything but an ACK E-04! I had too many false activations to count, and no customer support to speak of.

I replaced it with the Artex ELT 345. Not one false activation since replacement. Very happy now, not so happy that I wasted good money on the ACK. I can't sell it to recoup some of my loss, I won't even give it away in fact.

UPDATE...

Well, after realizing replacing my Ameri-King AK-450 with a 406 ELT wasn't going to be as simple as I'd hoped (i.e. mounting an external antenna) - and we aren't flying over remote areas - I've decided to just keep it for now. However, when the time comes I think the Artex 345 is currently my best bet.

Meanwhile, I just purchased an Artex PLB (https://www.amazon.com/Artex-8110-Personal-Locator-Beacon/dp/B07H8N9TD3) with no monthly fees, to keep onboard as a backup. It can also be used when out in the boonies fishing/hiking, etc.

Last edited:
Only thing worse than ACK is Ameri-king. :eek:

Getting a call in the middle of the night asking if you're dead, and if not, then please go turn off your stupid ELT which got everyone excited for no reason, (been there done that....).

Yup

The E-04 is an abomination.

I can say only one good thing about it: it has very strong receiving and transmitting capabilities. One of the (several) times mine has gone off for no reason whatsoever, it managed to lock onto GPS satellites and transmit a distress call to my friends at the Air Force *while the aircraft was sitting inside a metal hangar with the door closed.* When I saw the dreaded phone call from Panama City Florida (my ACK has ensured I'm familiar with that number) I thought "surely somebody must have stolen and crashed my plane!"

But no! The plane was still sitting in the hangar, where it had been parked at least 10 days before. The ACK just decided to wake up and talk to the Air Force.

I'm beginning to think the !@#$!@# thing is self-aware and gets lonely.

Anything but an ACK E-04! I had too many false activations to count, and no customer support to speak of.

I replaced it with the Artex ELT 345. Not one false activation since replacement. Very happy now, not so happy that I wasted good money on the ACK. I can't sell it to recoup some of my loss, I won't even give it away in fact.

I cannot comment on performance, my ELT is installed in an -8 under construction. But if you do get the Artex, there are two antenna options: large and smaller. I got the smaller one, which is about 18" long. At the very least it reduces drag if mounted externally. I was able to find a location within the cockpit because of it's smaller size. Good hunting.

I cannot comment on performance, my ELT is installed in an -8 under construction. But if you do get the Artex, there are two antenna options: large and smaller. I got the smaller one, which is about 18" long. At the very least it reduces drag if mounted externally. I was able to find a location within the cockpit because of it's smaller size. Good hunting.

Interesting that you were able to mount it inside the plane. my current 121.5 ELT has the antenna mounted vertically right next to it inside the cockpit behind the passenger seatback. But I was under the (possibly wrong) impression that the 406 antenna needed to be externally mounted to ensure it has a proper ground plane and to ensure the signal makes it out.
I could certainly mount the shorter antenna inside if it will still work adequately. The uncertainties of installation and performance are why I decided to defer the decision. :(

Inside

I think most of us have found a place inside the airplane to mount the antenna. Not recommended by the manufacturer, but looks are more important than performance, right? :D

There are a ton of ELT threads and threads on where and how to mount ELT Antennas in VAF forums for decades.

121.5 Mhz is continually monitored by ATC and airliners. Took a tour of level 12 ARTCC (largest level) a month ago. Heard ELT over a speaker.
I recall military still has satellite capabilities to recognize 121.5 Mhz, but no obligation to act on it..

No doubt 406Mhz is better. NO debate, but all 406 ELT's still have 121.5.

Last edited:
There are a ton of ELT threads and threads on where and how to mount ELT Antennas in VAF forums for decades.

121.5 Mhz is continually monitored by ATC and airliners. Took a tour of level 12 ARTCC (largest level) a month ago. Heard ELT over a speaker.
I recall military still has satellite capabilities to recognize 121.5 Mhz, but no obligation to act on it..

No doubt 406Mhz is better. NO debate, but all 406 ELT's still have 121.5.
Sometimes finding the info in previous threads is like looking for a needle in a haystack - but here are two threads with some antenna info:

1) https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=36126&highlight=ELT+Antenna

2) Post #12> https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=205152&highlight=ELT+Antenna&page=2

AS AN FYI - while most 406 MHz beacons also include a 121.5 MHz transmitter, the ELT406GPS (https://www.emapa.aero/v/ELT-BROCHURE.pdf) does not. The company said the FCC banned 121.5 MHz receivers while the ELT406GPS was undergoing certification, but “the FCC and FAA have since worked out their differences and agreed to allow 121.5 MHz back in any new systems being certified,”. Although they admitted they could inexpensively equip the beacon with a 121.5 MHz beacon, the recertification effort would make it cost prohibitive.

ELT antenna

I "thought" the DAR would require the ELT antenna be mounted according to manufacturer direction. The ACK directions call for it to be external.
That said, I'm not a DAR.
I did mount mine external just in front of the VS. Coax is free from passing through any bulkheads and it is not secured with anything that could sever the cable.

I "thought" the DAR would require the ELT antenna be mounted according to manufacturer direction. The ACK directions call for it to be external.
That said, I'm not a DAR.
I did mount mine external just in front of the VS. Coax is free from passing through any bulkheads and it is not secured with anything that could sever the cable.
Plane is already built - so won't be subject to a DAR. Also, apparantly the current ELT with interior mounted antenna passed the DAR inspection. With that said - even if there is no DAR inspection - I obviously want it to work.

As an aside, a couple models have built-in antennas - but I think those are designed for use if it is removed from the plane in an emergency.

, a couple models have built-in antennas - but I think those are designed for use if it is removed from the plane in an emergency.
What model is that? Talking new current 406 models. What one are you thinking of?

One ELT maker, EBC well known for their self contained all in one yellow cabin mounted units. They had a permanently attached wire antenna, all controls On,Test,Off in unit. They had that swing weight to throw a toggle switch. Pretty simple, for their old 121.5/243Mhz units, no external connection, designed to be mounted in the cabin. For their EBC 406 models they have to have an external antenna, as required by regs. The EBC would be my top choice for a 406 ELT except for $3,900 price tag.

The new spec and STC for 406 ELT's requires an external antenna, and ELT cockpit / instrument panel control / indication.

If you want to locate the ELT in a place you can access, get a portable antenna, etc., you can make almost any ELT portable. I suppose an ELT in the cabin may not be as good as one in the tail / empennage. Instructions for ELT's tell you where to put it. Since it is an AML-STC (not aircraft specific) it is left somewhat open to interpretation. However the general consensus in the industry towards to tail. Looking at aircraft crashes the aft part of the aircraft near the tail is part least likely to be affect by a crash. This would make access hard for a casual removal.

Also antenna coaxial length is another and passing through bulkheads, with obvious reason to reduce likelihood the ELT and antenna coaxial will be broken.

Then there are Kit plane builders and what they want to do for convince, looks, what ever cool reason they have. Personally I have an old EBC EBC 502 (121.5/243) still legal to use in USA. I am likely going to use it, and my PLB I have for other activities (boating, motorcycling, hiking).

TO BE CLEAR 406 IS BETTER. However 121.5Mhz is still monitored by ATC/Airlines and you should to if you have spare radio while flying. ATC has removed receivers for both ATC and 121.5 all over country. Keep in mind newer 406 ELTS still have 121.5 for local homing to location.

243Mhz is still monitored by military. Will they act on a signal? Yes, probably, maybe, but might take a day to get around to calling someone. Then the accuracy or area of finding signal is so large, unless it is correlated to known lost aircraft, chances are slim this will bring badly needed help in timely fashion. However 406 is no guarantee.

If you want to improve your chances on a cross country especially over remote areas, have a flight plan, flight following, let people on ground know where you are going, stick to that, and call them you have arrived.

PLB is the way to go if you want something portable to carry, in an addition to the aircrafts ELT.... PLB can then be used for hiking, in vehicles on off road, boat...

The prices on commercial Sat-Com/Trackers, both device and subscription services have come down. Depending on level of service, you can at least send out SOS or TEXT giving information. You can go alway up to voice for more money.

Even 406 with it's better accuracy and known registered N number/contact info is not perfect. There are cases where ELT's still just do not trip. Again even the 406 transmitters still have 121.5 Mhz for local homing to location.

Sometimes finding the info in previous threads is like looking for a needle in a haystack - but here are two threads with some antenna info:

1) https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=36126&highlight=ELT+Antenna
2) Post #12> https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=205152&highlight=ELT+Antenna&page=2

AS AN FYI - while most 406 MHz beacons also include a 121.5 MHz transmitter, the ELT406GPS (https://www.emapa.aero/v/ELT-BROCHURE.pdf) does not. The company said the FCC banned 121.5 MHz receivers while the ELT406GPS was undergoing certification, but “the FCC and FAA have since worked out their differences and agreed to allow 121.5 MHz back in any new systems being certified,”. Although they admitted they could inexpensively equip the beacon with a 121.5 MHz beacon, the recertification effort would make it cost prohibitive.

Yes Sir I know. Following this topic for decades. Read my post above. 406 is better. However I have 121.5/243 Mhz, both are still monitored. I have ways to mitigate this (read below). I am not cavalier or disregard safety, and may purchase a 406 someday soon. By the time I buy one they will have something better (satellite ADS-B is here).

Forget needle in hay stack for a second. Again 121.5 is monitored by ATC real time 24/7/365 by humans. I was in ARTCC and heard one go off. At airlines most of us fly around with Com #2 on 121.5Mhz, and/or 123.45 which is air-air as you know. We hear an ELT we report it. ATC knows our location. They ask questions, strength etc. They do whatever the controller handbook says; likely tell a supervisor who makes calls, is my assumption.

The 243 Mhz is no longer monitored by the NOAA COSPAS-SARSAT satellites. Fact. However I believe (could be mistaken) the military satellites can/do receive 243. Is it actively monitored for S&R, or will they report on a "hit". Don't know? Let's say no. If there is a known missing aircraft, I'd hope someone would call military (I believe Air Force runs the satellites or now Space Force maybe). If they do have that data they can pull it up and say yes at this time, approx location (huge radius of probability) a 243 signal was heard. So at least they know the plane is down and ELT went off. This is where other things come in, read below.

I do know 406 ELTS have 121.5. It is required by the Regs. This is still part of the equation in aircraft S&R, homing to location w/ direction finding gear, assuming the ELT went off and you are still breathing, both not assured 406 or no 406 ELT. ELT VHF homing is pretty good but range is short. Depends on how the transmitter antenna is setting (towards the sky or in the dirt) and surrounding terrain. Clearly satellite is the way to go. That is not up for debate in my mind, but again if antenna is in the dirt or coaxial broke, let's not kid ourselves. Call police with your address and see how long that takes... :( However we are talking about crashing here. My thought is don't crash. :) Also sadly if the accident is fatal ELT is not going to help. So don't crash or if you do make off field landing know how to do it, practice.

Living in the NW (Cascade Mountains, dense 150 foot tall evergreen forest) from time to time they find airplanes missing for decades and decades. One I recall was close to the remote airport with not so rugged terrain. No one knew he was out there. Look up Steve Fossett, another example, flying around in remote area no knew what he was doing and where. That S&R was massive. Hikers found his wreck a year later. He was nowhere to be found (elements, animals).

This is what I do:
  • Fly over populated areas.
  • XC, especially over remote areas, file VFR flt plan + flt following or IFR flt plan
  • I tell friends and family exactly what I am doing, do that, call them when I land
  • First aid gear / survival gear / signaling device-mirror-smoke, in plane.
  • PLB (keep in mind cell coverage may be available as well)

PLB on 406 or subscription SAT COM gear is available with tracking. True it will not go off if you are unconscious. However if you have time turn it on early, on the way down. Call Mayday x3 and best Center has you on radar. The ONES with TRACKING that ping from time to time are really nice. This requires people on the ground to know how to access this data and know you are flying and when to expect you. All these things can be better than JUST a 406 elt strapped to your plane that goes off if you crash. If we are going to take survival seriously an ELT is only a tiny piece of it.

TRACKING by people you know on the ground is so important. So important that ALL PART 121 Air Line flights must have flight following by the airline, and two way COM with company for entire flight. The airplane must be in contact with flight control at all times. Internationally it is/was by HF radio. Now they use satellite com and data links through the aircrafts control display units. We can approximate something like that with subscription services AND have someone KNOW where we are going and when. These units track the plane IN FLIGHT (not just when it triggers in a crash); Your people can pull it up. As well a handheld VHF radio might be able to call an airliner on 121.5 or 123.45 flying overhead. I recommend everyone put their standby radio on one of these two guard freqs and monitor them when flying around the country. I have reported a few ELT's. Most likely false alarms, which was the reason they went to 406, sending out contact info and tail number. Huge money was wasted on S&R. I forgot to close a VFR flight plane in my early days. Keep in mind people did not have CELL phones. So you had to close it in the air or find a phone.

Also lets not gloss over ADS-B. So 406 ELT's are important. but we can do even better. Something like ADA-B ground or satellite even better will helping people faster. ADS-B is alresdy useful in accident investigations.

The most important is PILOT SKILLS, currency, competency, engine out practice to landing or near landing. Slow flight, stalls, running checklist from memory, etc. No ELT can save you from a stall spin. People STILL fly into really bad weather and run out of fuel... A 406 ELT is after the accident. The idea is NOT have an accident in the first place. Then second how do I make a good survivable forced dead stick off field landing. To para phrase Bob Hoover, fly the plane into the crash and all the way through it, don't stop flying the plane.

Last how do I survive in the boonies with no help for hours or days, may be hurt? What time of year is it? Do I need warm clothes, food, water, shelter? People who buy a $2K or $4K ELT thinking it is going to save them without doing all these other things have a false sense or security. There is a famous case way back in the piston airliner days. A crash in the sierra nevada mountains, california, all killed but two survivors, mother daughter, with minor injuries. They lived for a long long time, week or weeks, after the crash, but succumbed to the elements. Bottom line is attitude of safety. The 406 ELT is a go to and required now for new installations, but if you do nothing else in preparing for the worst and always planning to minimize risk, it's really false security. I rather be the pilot who is safe, mitigating risk, well prepared for emergencies, with an old ELT, supplemented by other tech (ADS-B, PLB, Commercial SAT trackers), than a pilot with a 406 ELT who kicks the tires and lights the fire. In no way do I suggest don't get a 406 ELT. If you are the latter pilot who kicks the tires AND has an old ELT, flying over remote desolate places not telling anyone or talking to anyone... well...

BTW Blancolirio did a video recently on a C210T engine failure (dead stick) into Aspen. He had VRF flight following. He landed safely. Crashing in the Rockies even with an ELT is going to be a desperate situation. So may be don't fly direct over the Rockies at 16,500 feet early winter? Take your chances. Up to you. If his engine failure happened eairler before crossing a major ridge and not so close to Aspen.... yikes.

Last edited:
The 8 is challenging for an exterior ELT mounting location, however I'm doing the Fastback version, so I was able to put it on the side of the cockpit on the side the canopy will tip over to. If the DAR requires it to be external, I can retreat to the top of the turtledeck. I understand the logic behind not allowing the coax to penetrate any bulkheads, though predicting the results of an accident is impossible.

Does the prohibition on "penetrating" bulkheads mean a single, purpose drilled hole only for the ELT coax? What about mounting the ELT coax to the side of lightening holes already in place? I understand this will be a gray area, but what is the consensus?

Yes Sir I know. Following this topic for decades. Read my post above. 406 is better. However I have 121.5/243 Mhz, both are still monitored. I have ways to mitigate this (read below). I am not cavalier or disregard safety, and may purchase a 406 someday soon. By the time I buy one they will have something better (satellite ADS-B is here).

Forget needle in hay stack for a second. Again 121.5 is monitored by ATC real time 24/7/365 by humans. I was in ARTCC and heard one go off. At airlines most of us fly around with Com #2 on 121.5Mhz, and/or 123.45 which is air-air as you know. We hear an ELT we report it. ATC knows our location. They ask questions, strength etc. They do whatever the controller handbook says; likely tell a supervisor who makes calls, is my assumption...
Lots of good info - thanks!

You asked about the ELT with built-in antenna - here is one I found:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/kannad_integra.php
Per the listed features: "Integrated internal 406MHz antenna"

Back