What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Repairman's Cert #

Dave S

Well Known Member
I just received my hard card Repairman's certificate.

The certificate number is completely different than my other FAA certificates.

Is this normal?

I have talked to others who have all their FAA certificates with the same number including their UAS, and others who say the only one different is their UAS certificate.

If I do an Airman search using my Pilot's number, it does list the Repairman's certificate.

Just curious but does anyone have any insight?

Different

I just received my hard card Repairman's certificate.

The certificate number is completely different than my other FAA certificates.

Is this normal?

I have talked to others who have all their FAA certificates with the same number including their UAS, and others who say the only one different is their UAS certificate.

If I do an Airman search using my Pilot's number, it does list the Repairman's certificate.

Just curious but does anyone have any insight?

Mine is different

That's interesting. I don't have a repairman cert (airplane not done yet) but I've got several other certificates; The cert number is the same for all of them.

All my pilot certs are the same (student. Asel, IFR addon, etc.). My experimental repairment cert, LSA repairment cert, and part 107 cert all have different numbers.

I have my UAS, Repairman, Private and Mechanic (A&P). The A&P is my most recent (2023) and it has the same number as my PPL. The other's are different numbers. I did have to apply for the A&P via IACRA and it did ask if I had a pilot certificate.

Related question: When you sign some change in your airframe or engine logbook, which certificate number do you write? Your pilot certificate number or your repairman's certificate number? Or do you use both, or does it depend on what work was done (condition inspection vs. other maintenance)?

I believe the answer depends on what was performed. I would think if you forget that it is an experimental aircraft and think of your Repairman's Certificate as a Mechanics License, then;

if the work performed can legally be done by a pilot then you can use your Pilot Certificate number, or your Repairman's Certificate.

If the work being done needs to be done by a mechanic, then use your Repairman Certificate.

You can't wrong using your Repairman's Certificate every time.

Related question: When you sign some change in your airframe or engine logbook, which certificate number do you write? Your pilot certificate number or your repairman's certificate number? Or do you use both, or does it depend on what work was done (condition inspection vs. other maintenance)?

My plane I use my repairmen since that's the only serial it applies to. Everything else it's my CPL.

Also, my numbers are different too. Only ones the same are my CPL and CFI. CFI just has the three letters added on.

Y'all remember what the Repairman's Certificate for EAB authorizes, right?

The holder of a repairman certificate (experimental aircraft builder) may perform condition inspections on the aircraft constructed by the holder in accordance with the operating limitations of that aircraft.

That's it, and that's all. As for any other work on an EAB, either it doesn't need any license at all (not even a PP license), or it's something that nobody BUT a properly licensed person or shop can do (like, IIRC, prop overhauls).

Joe Schmoe off the street can work on just about anything on an EAB, and if he wants to, "log" it somewhere as "Joe Schmoe".

Depends on the application

I didn’t build my 14, but have built a couple in years past. During the interview for my last repairman’s certificate, the FAA rep was being overseen by a supervisor. While filling out the form, he asked the supervisor what to put in the space for "certificate number". The super explained that he could leave it blank and a number would be assigned or he could enter my existing certificate number.
Kinda surprised me. It’s been my impression that there’s no leeway when filling out FAA forms, but it seems there is a bit!

Bill

Y'all remember what the Repairman's Certificate for EAB authorizes, right?

That's it, and that's all. As for any other work on an EAB, either it doesn't need any license at all (not even a PP license), or it's something that nobody BUT a properly licensed person or shop can do (like, IIRC, prop overhauls).

Joe Schmoe off the street can work on just about anything on an EAB, and if he wants to, "log" it somewhere as "Joe Schmoe".

Totally correct except for the engine and prop overhaul part.
There is no requirement for any level of certification for either, if they are installed on an experimental aircraft.

Totally correct except for the engine and prop overhaul part.
There is no requirement for any level of certification for either, if they are installed on an experimental aircraft.

I knew that anyone can do an engine overhaul, but for some reason I thought prop work had to be done by a certified shop. Not that *I* would attempt any such thing, but good to know the facts...

Back