What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing strobe from top of Vert Stab?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I am in the process of upgrading to a WAT microburst 3 light setup (L/R wing tip and tail) and the system has built-in strobes that can be synchronized.

I am toying with the idea of removing the old strobe on the tail as I would assume it will never sync with the others and it would remove a power supply pack from the baggage compartment.

Has anyone done this? How hard is it to remove the top cap of the vertical stab? Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

It all depends on how the builder built it - I don’t remember an RV kit where a strobe on the VS tip was standard, so that makes it custom….so you’d have to tell it how it is attached. It’d be obvious if it was with screws, and you’d just take it off, do some fiberglass magic, and screw it back on. If it’s riveted, and the rivets are blended in with glass, then sand off the glass “blending”, drill the rivets, do the glasswork, and put it back on.

It’s all easy except probably making the paint look perfect afterwards, and if you’re good at painting, then that’s probably not a big deal either.

Paul

Thanks Paul! I think it's the project for this weekend. :)

Last edited:
Back