What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removal of stuck tail tie down ring

Michael Wellenzohn

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I have realised that I can't remove the tail tie down ring anymore. I kept it in screwed in in case the aircraft would tip when passengers board (never happened). It's a steel tie down ring in a threaded aluminium part. I guess it has corroded and is not stuck. I don't want to use too much force as it might damage the tie down bar inside or shear off the eye bolt.
Does anyone has any recommendations or real world experience of how to remove it without damaging it?

Regards
Michael

I would start with several applications of a good penetrating oil and let sit several days.
Then try removing without using too much leverage.

I would start with several applications of a good penetrating oil and let sit several days.
Then try removing without using too much leverage.

If still hard to turn after the oil, use a heat gun or really good hair dryer on the ring close to where it enters the aluminum thread. The aluminum will expand more and faster than the steel ring. Probably will have no effect on the steel, since you won’t be able to get it hot enough.

I broke one off on my 6 in a really tail low landing with an aft cg. Coincidentally, two of us tried to climb in at the same time and smacked the bottom of the rudder on the ground on the same trip.

I used heat, oil, and an ease out and got it to come out perfectly clean.

The oil won’t help much just because gravity will be working against you, but heat will. If not, get a bigger cheater bar. Something will give.

AEROKROIL - The only Oil that Creeps!

My older brother swears by the stuff, I've used it and boy was I surprised when I saw the mechanics on our Airbus A320's packing a can of it!!!

Couple of applications over a couple of days, a couple of taps with a hammer to just jar things enough and even some heat applied ought to combine and make it come out!

I broke one off on my 6 in a really tail low landing with an aft cg. Coincidentally, two of us tried to climb in at the same time and smacked the bottom of the rudder on the ground on the same trip.

I used heat, oil, and an ease out and got it to come out perfectly clean.

The oil won’t help much just because gravity will be working against you, but heat will. If not, get a bigger cheater bar. Something will give.

The oil usually moves up (against gravity) due to the capillary action, but in case of the RV-10 I can even apply it from the top of the tie down bar.

Attachments

• Bildschirm­foto 2022-12-14 um 10.45.53.png
    Bildschirm­foto 2022-12-14 um 10.45.53.png
    690.1 KB · Views: 92
Don't remember the dimension of the billet used, but guessing 1/2" Once you confirm the size, put an appropriately sized crows foot socket on a long extension and ratchet and grab the internal bar with it. You can then apply the required force on the ring to break it free

After the oil soaking (from the top) and the heating . . . when you get it to move, even just a little, work it back and forth and do not just muscle it out. This may not work, but attempting to just start and keep turning counterclockwise is sure to gall and make it a permanent bond.

Protect your paint when using the torch!!

Back