What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removable Wing Tip Attach?

jsharkey

Well Known Member
The standard plans call for 2.5" spacing of the CS4-4 blind rivets used to attach the wing tips.

I was considering using #6 or #8 flat head screws per the alternative mentioned in the plans and wondered what spacing folks have found works.

The plans don't offer a suggestion and 2.5" seems way too close from weight, cost and maintenance convenience points of view. It won't take many #8s to hold the load but at what spacing do things start to look ugly?

Checking other posts I see that #4 screw kits are available but these seem very small and tedious - and possibly less strong than the CS4s

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Finishing up - still!

#4 Screws

I used the #4 screw kit at 2 1/2" spacing. At the advice of a long time builder, I used a very small amount of oil on each screw to reduce the risk of breaking off a head.
If you are going for wider spacing be carefull of pillowing between screws. Also, the wing tip is part of the wing producing lift. Check with Vans if deviating from the spacing they call for.

Checking other posts I see that #4 screw kits are available but these seem very small and tedious.....
I used the #4 screw kit on the -6A wingtips and am pleased. I've removed those wingtips twice since 2005 and my attitude is like any other screw used on the airframe. If any given screw gives me even a minor problem, I simply change it out with a new one. Screws are cheap. I installed the same #4 wingtip screw kit in the -8 project. Over the years, I have discovered that recalcitrant screws are often made worse by the screwdriver itself so I almost always use my pricey Snap-On drivers now. They seem to perform significantly better than any other brand of Phillip head screwdriver I've tried.

Cleveland Screw Kit

I just ordered the Cleveland #4 screw kit - plus a neat little lower rudder fairing, tail light mounting spacer - everything I've tried for that so far has been klutzy. I might make something similar for the wing tip lights.

Jim

I have the Cleveland #4 screws on my -9A. I'm going to use #6 screws on the -8. I find the #4 screws a bit of a pain, unnecessarily.

From memory

arn't the holes pre-punched in the skins?...I.e this sets the pitch for whatever fastening system you want to use.

I used #8 C/S torx screws for a slip proof method of removal/reinstal.

Look nice too..

Frank

arn't the holes pre-punched in the skins?...I.e this sets the pitch for whatever fastening system you want to use.

I used #8 C/S torx screws for a slip proof method of removal/reinstal.

Look nice too..

Frank

Fraid not on the attach holes - us RV6 folks are still "knife and forking it".

Mind you - working out hole spacings over the years has improved my fractional arithmetic no end.

I've committed to the #4s for now so I'll see how it goes. I've also just done a trial fit and the thing would be pretty pillowy at anything more than 2.5" spacing.

Jim

Back