What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removable step

Carl Froehlich

Well Known Member
This is an RV-10 but I suspect this will apply to other models.

The passenger step has been know to fail. Replacing it (at least in an RV-10) requires removal of the baggage floor and all those pull rivets.

This mod provides for a nutplate to be mounted on each steel step weldment. Not shown is an associated 3/4” hole in the baggage floor above the bolt so it can be removed, allowing the step to be replaced. Drilling the new step is done by using the weldment as a drill guide, but only starting the #12 hole on the bottom. The hole is completed with the step removed. The new hole in the baggage compartment floor gets a SS snap in cap.

Carl

20230809-120116.jpg

20230809-115313.jpg

20230809-115321.jpg

Cap

You will find that the side panel covers the area where the hole would be in the baggage floor… I wish I had installed a small access panel just inboard of the sidewall.

Steps

I know there is a known problem with the steps on the 2 seat A models,(passenger step came off my 7A) but I haven't heard of this happening on a 10. Anyone? Apparently filling it with silica sand helped.

Back