What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recurrent Training

RV7Guy

Well Known Member
I'm curious if any RV fliers out there practice recurrent training? I'm not talking about a bi-annual but real training either with a CFI or just going out and practicing stalls, slow flight and other emergency procedures.

I used to fly in law enforcement and we always did recurrent training. In fact, if a pilot was off more than 7 days he had to go out for short check ride with a couple of autorotations and a briefing as to any changes in policy or procedures.

I got thinking of this after completing my first Condition Inspection. It had been 3 weeks since I had flown. I went out and did the full stall series twice and slow flight at several different speeds. After feeling comfortable again I went to a remote airport and did some power off glides to landing. Then a few touch and goes.

Just curious!!

Absolutely

Very good post Darwin.
Most of the guys that I've flown Transition with were rustly as heck. A couple couldn't find their butt with both hands and it took a lot of work. One reason is obviously that they've been building and neglecting their flying either because of a lack of time or money or both.

I totally agree with you in that we should all practise the entire stall series and especially accelerated stalls. My technique for them is to slow the airplane to around 100 MPH or a little less and roll into at least a 45 degree bank (preferably closer to 60*) and pull in increasingly higher G-loads while checking any overbanking tendency until the airplane shudders noticeably. These square wings will really talk to you and recovery is instantaneous with a little relaxing the backpressure.

Regards,

Appreciated post.....

I have been working to set up a recurrent training program for myself and have been working on a list of "lessons or topics" and recurrency, primary emphasis on safety.

Would you more experienced pilots give me a complete list of what you feel should be the "lesson plan".

My thoughts were to do one recurrent training session a week, mixed in with my usual fly-outs and longer trips.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Short list

Hi Grayhawk.
One means that I try to instill in all the guys I fly with is to always try and fly your airplane to the next level or rating since you're the only one who sees what goes on in the cockpit usually. If you're a Private pilot, then fly to Commercial requirements e.g. Altitude holding to within 50 feet of assigned, to 5 degrees of desired heading instead of 100 feet and 10 degrees.

Practise turns left and right to within 50 feet of starting altitude at 45 degree banks.
Practise slow flight at approach speeds with and without flaps.
Occasionally, go up to three or four thousand feet, ease the power back for a simulated engine out, establish best glide speed, hold it there and pick a landing area if one is available. Remember to rev the engine a little every so often to a) ensure that it's still running and b) to clear it.

Try and straddle the white line on takeoff and landing and before the end of the runway passes under you, pick a spot in the distance and hold that heading so that your flight path is an extension of the runway centerline (not all that easy) then square up your pattern so it's neat. One way is to turn to the appropriate headings by glancing out and over your wingtip, find a reference on the horizon and turn to it and so on. This also helps you find traffice before you turn. Be continually self-critiqueing (sp?) and if you feel that you need a CFI to fly with you, do so.

Regards,
Pierre

Thanks Pierre,

Very good input and that will give me a good start. I hadn't thought of tightening up the limits.

It looks like we fly the same type plane (RV-6A); so an additional question might be along the line of any restrictions, things that I should avoid. For example, on landing & takeoffs, I tend to protect the nose gear so ALL landings and takeoffs are more like soft field, raise the nose as soon as I can, lower it as late as I can. I've heard some discussion about not doing power on stalls, etc.

Thanks again,

pierre smith said:
One means that I try to instill in all the guys I fly with is to always try and fly your airplane to the next level or rating since you're the only one who sees what goes on in the cockpit usually. If you're a Private pilot, then fly to Commercial requirements e.g. Altitude holding to within 50 feet of assigned, to 5 degrees of desired heading instead of 100 feet and 10 degrees.
Also consider taking up formation flying. It is very demanding...meaning it will force you to become a better stick regardless of how good you may be going in. It's not a "rating" per se, but it's on par conceptually imho.

Thought of one more since I have electric flaps: Practice no-flaps landings (guess that is the same as your approach speed with no flaps).

Last edited:
Dan:
Pierre is suggesting some realistic practice limits that could be worked on every time someone is in the air. Here's some additional thoughts: If you can't hold such altitude and heading limits precisely on every flight, don't even consider trying formation flight. If you can't hold these same tolerances and then hold the needles within two dots right to the bottom on every practice ILS, you don't belong in the system. By exercising some judgement and avoiding a requirement to demonstrate precision flying capabliities when you're not ready, perhaps we can avoid some of the accidents that we're been talking about lately. Think about it this way, would you fly formation with someone with a demonstrated inability to fly precisely or would you want to be in IMC sharing the same airspace. That's not the time to "practice".

Totally agree with Dan and Pierre. Formation flying has kicked my butt into shape fast. I have no doubt that learning to keep my plane right where it needs to be, and I'm still learning, definitely helps you in other aspects of flying.

The other day Kahuna went up with me for some lessons in acro. After that and topping off with fuel, he took me up over a quiet airport and had me go mixture idle cut-off and fly various speeds on the way down. Nothing like touching down on the runway with the engine stopped. But like he said and I believe, that's the way to learn your airplane. Plan to do more as time goes on.

I also try to remember to practice the slow flight, stalls, steep turns, etc.

Training

dan said:
Also consider taking up formation flying. It is very demanding...meaning it will force you to become a better stick regardless of how good you may be going in. It's not a "rating" per se, but it's on par conceptually imho.

Probably a good idea, however, you have to a certain level first. If everyone would be disciplined enough to go out practice after they haven't flown for a while, or in regular intervals our accident rate would be positively affected. Additionally, as Pierre pointed out, challenge yourself. Nail the altitudes, airspeeds to higher standards.

I have seen people in a variety of airplanes just blast off on a cross country after not flying for a while. I'm confident this occurs in RV's as well.

I think a recurrent lesson plan is a great idea. We should set our own standards and work together to improve safety in our own Community. If only one accident is prevented we will be successful.

We could do something like women do regarding breast cancer. (I've lost some friends and have had relatives with breast cancer. I donate and take part in the charity walks for the cause.) I'm sure it is nationwide but in AZ they have Public Service announcements that are called, Buddy Check. This is program where women team up and ask each if they have done their monthly self exam. The results have been significant in the discovery and early treatment of this terrible disease.

All RVers have a circle of RV friends. Why not start talking about what everyone is doing for recurrent training. If people are not doing it then the the peer pressure may get them off the fence to practice. Again if we save one life and prevent one accident we have achieved success. A good campaign will save many more!!!

Just some thoughts.

Back