What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recent Tailwheel Training

tinman

Well Known Member
I recently flew the RV-6 with Kent Gorton down in Locust Grove GA for the first round of my transition training. On the two days that we flew, the winds were gusting quite a bit with a pretty good crosswind component, so I had a chance to "see the elephant". I am a low-time pilot (140 hrs over 15 years...) with about 10 hours of tailwheel time, so I am pretty green by any standard.
We started with a ground briefing and a few minutes of just sitting in the cockpit getting the 3-point image burned into my brain. We then did slow flight and stalls. Next came 3-pointers. We finished up with wheel landings. It was great fun, and the -6 was great with the gusting crosswind. I will go back to work on emergency procedures and spin entry.
I learned that I had some bad habits which could have gotten me into trouble down the road. One was that I was not positioning the controls correctly while taxiing which could have allowed the wind to lift a wing on me...the other habit that I had developed was not lining up with the centerline while on final. I was happy to be "close" but Kent reinforced that the line should be kept between my legs at all times as proof that I am in control of the plane and not the other way around...

Exactly....

...... I was happy to be "close" but Kent reinforced that the line should be kept between my legs at all times as proof that I am in control of the plane and not the other way around...

....what my friend did on Sunday. I heard him say "Perfect," as he landed his -4 ahead of me. I asked him later if he had said that and he said, "Yes, it was a perfect three-pointer". I told him that I hated to burst his bubble but it wasn't....he was on the left side of the runway and the line was to his right. Then he said.."Picky, picky".:)

Regards,

True

As my old instructor said ...." The man painted a line on the center of that runway for a reason" :D

I recently flew the RV-6 with Kent Gorton down in Locust Grove GA for the first round of my transition training. ...

I know and have flown with Kent Gorton. He is one outstanding aviator and can fly just about anything....you could not have a better instructor.

Kent is a great instructor and pilot. I did my transitions training with him as well.

One thing he will tell you is that he isn't there to make it pretty, only to make it safe. He doesn't need to teach you to stay on the centerline. You just need to know you are doing it wrong when you are off. (I'm off all the time at my home airport)

As for the use of controls while taxiing... Rent a Champ for a few hours on a windy day. You will soon learn to use controls until it's tied down or in the hangar.

Good advice...

As for the use of controls while taxiing... Rent a Champ for a few hours on a windy day. You will soon learn to use controls until it's tied down or in the hangar.[/QUOTE said:
I continue to recommend that folks get time in an antique high wing like a Champ. The airplane keeps you honest and the skills you develop will make you a better RV pilot. RV's are almost too easy. You can be really sloppy and get away with it, most of the time....

Funny that you should mention the Champ. I learned to fly tailwheel years ago in a Luscombe. Kent told me that my money was well spent in the Luscombe...it must have a reputation similar to the Champ???

A couple of people have shaken their head when I mentioned the Luscombe...I found it to be a wonderful machine and would have bought one to fly during my long building process if I didn't think that my wife would have asked/told me to get lost...

Funny that you should mention the Champ. I learned to fly tailwheel years ago in a Luscombe. Kent told me that my money was well spent in the Luscombe...it must have a reputation similar to the Champ???

A couple of people have shaken their head when I mentioned the Luscombe...I found it to be a wonderful machine and would have bought one to fly during my long building process if I didn't think that my wife would have asked/told me to get lost...

Champs are actually easy to fly and land, they just keep you honest, especially in windy conditions. Huge 35' wing with 5' chord to catch the wind. My L3 (WWII prior to Champ, but similar wing), had a maximum operating limit of 25mph of wind, that is wind from any direction. Anything more and it was dangerous to even taxi. You always taxied with elevator and ailerons controlled for the wind, a practice I carried with me to my RV6, wind or not.
I have never flown a Luscombe but they have a reputation for being a bit more demanding on roll out due to the tall narrow gear relative to the Champ. I am sure you where served well by that experience.
It sounds like Kent provides a quality training experience.

Back