What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Receiving QB Fuselage

Lynnb

Well Known Member
Hopefully my QB fuselage will be showing up in the coming months and I wanted to know what I should have ready when receiving it from Tony Partain shipping? I assume I'll need a cradle of some sort? Anyone have any pictures of receiving theirs and the process of transferring it from the trailer to the shop?

Thanks,
Lynn

Two people can lift it fairly easily.

A furniture dolly is helpful to get it around by yourself.

108949_full.jpg

At first, a table to work on is handy, but later you may want to consider building something like in this thread.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=127679

Good luck, and congrats on your impending arrivial :D

Not Too Difficult...

Don't know how Tony is delivering these days but mine was delivered in a 50' trailer that had 3 or 4 other aircraft in it. I got the QB wings and Fuse at the same time.

Fuse will be the firewall back to just aft of the baggage door, so it is not as long as you think. Many different ways to cradle it, search the forum. Initially, I built a rolling dolly that supported the fuse at the spar stubs and rested on the aft of the fuse. I now have a 2'x4' easy lift (thanks Craigslist) that is on casters, supporting the fuse from the entire belly. Hydraulic up/down is really nice!

As the belly is reasonably flat, you can actually set it on the ground until you get the dolly built. Three or four guys can easily lift the QB fuse.

I had the dolly for the wings built prior to delivery. Plenty of forum threads and pictures available. Wings are easily moved by two people . I set mine right in the cradles as they came off the truck.

If I do this again, I will DEFINITELY take more time at the beginning and inventory EVERYTHING into parts bins. Finding stuff in Van's paper bags takes WAY longer than separating and labeling it first... Just my opinion...

Be sure to let Rusty know when the actual date is scheduled. I would like to fly up in my -10 to help you unload yours. I missed all of these fun milestones since I bought mine.

Thanks for the input, sounds like a furniture dolly to start will be the easiest, then I can figure out what I need to do for the future. I already have the wings in cradles, so that's not a concern, just a steep driveway for getting the fuse in the garage.

Frank, I have a great milestone you can come help with, prosealing the rear tank baffles in. ;)

Lynn

Receipt of QB fuselage

I asked the transport firm to send a live bed like as a towing firm uses for picking up cars. The truck backed up and extended the deck or bed out to the exact point i needed it dropped off at .

I had some garden wheels from an auction and with a solid piece of round stock i had handy i made an axle wide enough to cross the fuse, i put that on a carpet covered 2x4 and presto i could move it one person wherever.

Checking of parts is soooooo necessary and when I did I put most in those inexpensive parts storage things from Home Depot, on sale i think they are only 6 to 12 dollars Cdn. Man those have paid for themselves so many times.

The Quickbuild fuse has been so instrumental in accelerating my build, the finishing kit arrived and I am already completing wiring so it is working out good.

Good luck on your build.

Dave

Back