What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rebuild a Bendix?

Disassemble your servo and replaced the parts. There's info online about adjustments and returning it to service.

-Marc

Consider the possible outcome if you don’t get it right. Instead of the standard flow bench test, you’ll be testing it on your first flight.

Consider the possible outcome if you don’t get it right. Instead of the standard flow bench test, you’ll be testing it on your first flight.

Anytime you take a plane up for a first flight you are a test pilot - no matter who built or overhauled the parts. I had a problem with my AFP fuel injection system and I was told how to adjust it over the phone! I couldn't find anyone on the Left coast who knew about AFP and experimental. That's pretty much what you get when you work with Don unless you are local to his shop.

-Marc

Anytime you take a plane up for a first flight you are a test pilot - no matter who built or overhauled the parts. I had a problem with my AFP fuel injection system and I was told how to adjust it over the phone! I couldn't find anyone on the Left coast who knew about AFP and experimental. That's pretty much what you get when you work with Don unless you are local to his shop.

-Marc

Are you referring to normal idle mixture and speed adjustments? (Basically the same as adjusting Bendix/Silver Hawk)

Last edited:
Just talked to support at Avstar and it's not the flow test that's the big deal. There are some specialty tools and a few procedures that made me lose interest in doing it myself. Going with the exchange.

-Marc

Wait, so you were AOG and called Don, he told you how to fix it over the phone, and you're not happy with that outcome? Did I miss something here?

I would have been swinging wrenches and grinning like a cat, but that's just me...

Just a follow up. I contacted Airflow Performance about their "experimental overhaul". $1200 - $1400 with a two week turn around. So if you don't mind being down for a few weeks it's a good deal. They received my servo and divider yesterday. Will post an update when I'm back up and running.

Wait, so you were AOG and called Don, he told you how to fix it over the phone, and you're not happy with that outcome? Did I miss something here?

First, I wasn't AOG. The engine was surging at lower RPMs (below 1500) and I just don't think that's right. I did try to resolve the issue but I was unsuccessful. I sent the servo and fuel distributor back to Don for an IRAN. The only thing they found wrong was a hole in the diaphragm in the fuel distributor which they replaced.

Don told me that my 3-blade Aero Composite prop was too light, and I needed a heavier prop for the flywheel effect to smooth out the surging.

Funny thing, I was at a fuel pump a few months later and a factory Pitts taxied up at idle. He had a Bendix fuel injection and a Hartzell composite prop. It was the smoothest running setup I've heard.

So yeah, I am unhappy with the outcome....

-Marc

Got the rebuilt servo/divider back last week and installed over the weekend. Total was $1350. Engine started up first try and idle was a bit low. Turned the screw 1-1/2 turns which ended up being a bit too much. Didn't have to touch the mixture adjustment. Perfect 50 rpm rise on cut off. Super happy with the experimental rebuild by AFP.

Back