What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ray Allen Electric Elevator Trim Deflection

Majorpayne317641

Well Known Member
I’m retrofitting to the vans electric trim kit from manual trim. I’ve got the tab set up and I noticed in the construction manual under the test chapter is says I should have trim tab 35 degrees down and 25 degrees up. Am I miss reading something? I can only get 30 degrees down and 14 degrees up. I measured my friends RV-8 and he has it biased more tab up then down (more nose down trim ability). I can always fly and see when I run out of trim on either side. But I’d like to get it roughly close.

I’m retrofitting to the vans electric trim kit from manual trim. I’ve got the tab set up and I noticed in the construction manual under the test chapter is says I should have trim tab 35 degrees down and 25 degrees up. Am I miss reading something? I can only get 30 degrees down and 14 degrees up. I measured my friends RV-8 and he has it biased more tab up then down (more nose down trim ability). I can always fly and see when I run out of trim on either side. But I’d like to get it roughly close.
You will always need more nose up trim than nose down.
Is the actuator rod connected to the hole in the control horn nearest to the bottom skin of the trim tab?

Last edited:
Ray Allen has 3 different servos, each with different travel. 0.7", 1", and 1.2".

You may not be getting enough travel at the tab if using the wrong servo with a shorter travel.

Ray Allen has 3 different servos, each with different travel. 0.7", 1", and 1.2".

You may not be getting enough travel at the tab if using the wrong servo with a shorter travel.

I used the vans kit for an RV-8A I imagine they sent the correct one?

I checked and they send 1.2in for both aileron and elevator trim kits.

Back