What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quick build corrosion

50Pesos

I have an old quick build wing and I have found some light corrosion on the J channel. I do not see any alodine surfaces. I think the primer is light grey on the back of the skins. There is no access to the area. Has anyone solved this? My first though was to fog etch in the area, rinse, alodine, rinse, and then AKZO. However there is no way to protect the main spar. I really do not want to remove the skin. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I did talk to vans and they are going to get back to me.

If you can reach the corrosion surface and scrub with the scrotchbrite pad and shoot it with self etching primer, then I think it should protect it.

VLAD has been flying for thousands hours with an unprimed and unpainted airplane for years. The only thing that wore down was his high time engine. I think the noise about primer and other recent things are just noise. Reading into them make people think their airplanes will fall apart in a few hours.

If you can reach the corrosion surface and scrub with the scrotchbrite pad and shoot it with self etching primer, then I think it should protect it.

VLAD has been flying for thousands hours with an unprimed and unpainted airplane for years. The only thing that wore down was his high time engine. I think the noise about primer and other recent things are just noise. Reading into them make people think their airplanes will fall apart in a few hours.

We need a like button! :)

I bought a set of 2nd hand QB wings. I found a little corrosion similar to what you describe. I took my time with a little localized treatment (scotch brite, long arms and patience). I shook up a can of SEM self-etching primer and sprayed it into a cup. Then applied with Q-tip. It took a couple of coats like this. But, I think it turned out pretty good.

Primer is a salve used to keep unfinished kits stuck firmly on terra firma ...

Use it sparingly where required and build on, then go fly!

Back