What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Questions about parting out an engine

00Dan

Well Known Member
Stupid question time. I have an O-320 I’m looking to part out and just finished tearing down. I’m looking to get the parts yellow tagged for sale but beyond the big parts what exactly is typically sent to a machine shop for that kind of work? I’m sure it’s not every nut and bolt, and I’ve seen the mandatory replacement SI.

A list would be very helpful.

I would consider the crank and case the majority of the value of the engine. :cool:

Parts

Everything in the engine has become VERY expensive. I would have connecting rods, gears, camshaft and other small parts yellow tagged. Cylinders I would be inclined to sell as is.

Looking over the machine shop lists it seems I’d send off the crank, cam, rods, rocker arms, and any gears. What about tappet bodies (I thought most people were replacing these with the newer DLC coated)?

The case shop would get the case halves obviously. What about accessory case and sump?

Anything else I’m missing that I’d want to get yellow tagged?

Looking over the machine shop lists it seems I’d send off the crank, cam, rods, rocker arms, and any gears. What about tappet bodies (I thought most people were replacing these with the newer DLC coated)?

The case shop would get the case halves obviously. What about accessory case and sump?

Anything else I’m missing that I’d want to get yellow tagged?

I would say assy case is worth sending off also...they would inspect oil pump area. Sump..not really any wear item there and can't say any part of the sump is subject to fatigue other than cracks near studs.

Back