What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question on LCP Parts Identification & Dates

Mistfarer

Hi everyone,

I wanted to check an assumption that has been nagging me for a few days. I think I might have not assessed parts for the LCP issue properly and wanted to double check.

My question.

In the LCP List, Van's has documented a date as "first day in inventory". In addition, all parts come with stickers which include the # of the part, a date, and (sometimes) a bar code. Thankfully for me, I took a picture of all the parts upon delivery before prep.

When I did my LCP assessment, I compared the dates on the stickers on each part to the "first day in inventory" date in the list. If a part had a sticker with an earlier date, I would classify it as not being impacted by LCP. And for the parts that had a later date, I would flag them as "at risk" and look closer.

I now have a terrible doubt. I am wondering if the dates on the stickers are a useful point of comparison or not. For instance, if these dates are Van's supplier manufacturing dates (rather than when Van's had the parts in inventory - which could have been weeks later), some parts that I deemed "good" (and didn't look at closely) could in fact be "bad".

Before people feel the need to say it, I am very well aware of the documentation shared by Van's, included the "LCP Identification" presentation (here: https://www.vansaircraft.com/laser_cut_parts_list_current). Comparing dates was a mean of quickly sifting through my pile of parts, but I am now worried I should have been more thorough.

Thoughts? Did I mess up?

Thanks all for your help.

Hi everyone,

I wanted to check an assumption that has been nagging me for a few days. I think I might have not assessed parts for the LCP issue properly and wanted to double check.

My question.

In the LCP List, Van's has documented a date as "first day in inventory". In addition, all parts come with stickers which include the # of the part, a date, and (sometimes) a bar code. Thankfully for me, I took a picture of all the parts upon delivery before prep.

When I did my LCP assessment, I compared the dates on the stickers on each part to the "first day in inventory" date in the list. If a part had a sticker with an earlier date, I would classify it as not being impacted by LCP. And for the parts that had a later date, I would flag them as "at risk" and look closer.

I now have a terrible doubt. I am wondering if the dates on the stickers are a useful point of comparison or not. For instance, if these dates are Van's supplier manufacturing dates (rather than when Van's had the parts in inventory - which could have been weeks later), some parts that I deemed "good" (and didn't look at closely) could in fact be "bad".

Before people feel the need to say it, I am very well aware of the documentation shared by Van's, included the "LCP Identification" presentation (here: https://www.vansaircraft.com/laser_cut_parts_list_current). Comparing dates was a mean of quickly sifting through my pile of parts, but I am now worried I should have been more thorough.

Thoughts? Did I mess up?

Thanks all for your help.

The "sticker" date represents the date the part was physically received at Van's.

You should have received an email today from Van's explaining some details about the replacement parts program. Part of the info in that email describes that you will soon be receiving a list for your individual kit that will help you as you assess. It will contain a list of every part that possibly could have been included in your kit, based on the date your kit was crated.

First off. Parts in a pile or parts assembled?

For parts in a pile.

Blue Vinyl on part? - No gonna be LCP
Bare metal? use a small eye loupe to inspect.
LCP anomaly very discernable with an 5X 7X eye loupe.

Parts in assembly?

My E-903 and E-904 fell into the Red Replace Category.
Even with a eye loupe the finished product, with epoxy primer coating, I could not see cracking of any dimples but they were replaced regardless.

Attachments

• LCP rib A copy.jpg
    LCP rib A copy.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 58
  • LCP Part B.jpeg
    LCP Part B.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 58
  • LCP Part C.jpeg
    LCP Part C.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 59
  • LCP Dimple Crack (#40 reamer).jpg
    LCP Dimple Crack (#40 reamer).jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 61
  • CNC Dimple - No Crack.jpg
    CNC Dimple - No Crack.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 52
Previous Portal Requests

You should have received an email today from Van's explaining some details about the replacement parts program. Part of the info in that email describes that you will soon be receiving a list for your individual kit that will help you as you assess. It will contain a list of every part that possibly could have been included in your kit, based on the date your kit was crated.

Should builders expect the next e-mail to include the list of parts requested in the LCP Replacement Request Portal last year? Or is it worth spending time doing a new inventory for LCPs? Having the previous list would be helpful, but if I need to do a new inventory, I would rather complete it before the next round of e-mails go out.

The "sticker" date represents the date the part was physically received at Van's.

Greg, are you guys also including in our list LCP that we ordered to replace kit parts that we messed up? I received some LCP as replacement parts and do not know if the original kit part was a LCP.

Will there be any way to prioritize specific parts in the order? I have a handful of parts that would unlock alot of progress, and several parts that i would be more ok waiting a little longer for.

Thank you Greg - I appreciate the official response. I would have been sceptical about any answer from someone not working at Van's.

This information helps tremendously narrow down the number of parts I have to scrutinize.

Back