What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question for Van’s re ordering replacement parts

Cessnadog

Sponsor
Honest question:
Looking at the list of laser cut parts for my RV-14A. I have read that there are engineering (i.e. not replacing the LCPs) solutions to some of the red parts. Best example is the Channel Bulkheads in the fuselage. Van’s has said another solution is coming. Those are going to be tough to get out so I am inclined to use the alternative fix. It sounds like it will be available in the weeks to few months timeline.

So, I would assume that Van’s would prefer that I NOT Order those parts.
Can we get some guidance on other places where Van’s expects to have alternative solutions?

Please tell me you are working on a solution to add strength to the tunnel sides!! I have no idea how to replace those… But also any other places that you are comfortable we can defer a parts order?

Or should we order all of the parts we would need in a worse case scenario?

Thanks
TIm

So far I've been going off the "Laser status" column of the spreadsheet. For the side channels that column mentions waiting for an alternate solution. For the tunnel sides it does not.

Also, those of us with laser cut parts are supposed to get contacted by Van's here in the next couple weeks (expect months) to coordinate how we'd like to deal with our LCPs. You can wait for that contact to avoid having to rebuy red and yellow parts.

So far I've been going off the "Laser status" column of the spreadsheet. For the side channels that column mentions waiting for an alternate solution. For the tunnel sides it does not.

Also, those of us with laser cut parts are supposed to get contacted by Van's here in the next couple weeks (expect months) to coordinate how we'd like to deal with our LCPs. You can wait for that contact to avoid having to rebuy red and yellow parts.
I got my list. that is the reason for my question.

Ok, I got a note back from Van’s re this question. Some of you may find the info useful…

They do not “have a clear path forward” on an alternate solution for the tunnel sides and angle braces. That does not mean they won’t, just that they don’t yet. They suggested that I order those parts so I have them in case I later decide to try and replace them.

Tim

Ok, I got a note back from Van’s re this question. Some of you may find the info useful…

They do not “have a clear path forward” on an alternate solution for the tunnel sides and angle braces. That does not mean they won’t, just that they don’t yet. They suggested that I order those parts so I have them in case I later decide to try and replace them.

Tim
Yeah, extremely dissapointing. The most disappointing location of all the red ones for the 14A. To replace them you really have to disassemble the fuse. They are riveted and prosealed to the firewall, the fuse floors, and the forward fuse bulkhead which is almost impossible to get to adequately unless you separate the bulkheads again to get access from behind. Same bulkhead issue for the red ribs connected to the powdercoated control rod. And because they are red and if Van’s says you probably got LCP ones then you really need to do so, IMHO. I can’t even imagine leaving any red part in the plane when it comes to resale and insurance, etc.

Tim

Which angle braces? Have a part number to share?

Back