What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QB Wings Serial Number Mismatch

jemer

I'm New Here
I received my RV-10 QB wings June 8,2022 in Central Arizona June 8, 2022. Shipper was Stewart Transport. I didn't realize until the truck had been gone for a few hours that the Exemplar green tag from each wing had been torn off and weren't still attached to the wings. I contacted the truck driver who was now on his way to Texas for the next delivery and he said he didn't have them, but later, when he stopped for the evening, he said he found them on the floor of the truck and would mail them to me. I asked if they were the correct ones and he replied that they were the only tags that were on the floor and all the other wings had green tags still attached. When I received the green tags, they were for wing S/Ns 300 and 396. The left matched the Inventory but the right didn't. I contacted Van's and they said the real S/N of the wing is etched into the wingtip of the spar. I could not access the wingtips the way they were stored and I moved on to other things. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I was able to access the wingtips. The engraved S/Ns didn't match either the green tags or the inventory. I talked to product support at Van's and I was told that the only time they would use the wing S/N information would be if there arose a production concern with a particular range of S/Ns and then they could contact the owners and go from there. I pointed out that their inventory/pick list didn't appear to have my wing serial numbers recorded correctly and he said he'd have someone fix it. I also asked if they might have a copy of the green tags that correspond to the etched S/Ns and I was told that Van's does not keep records of the green tags from Exemplar.

So is this a yawn? Does anyone really care from a paperwork standpoint if the green tags don't match the engraved spar number? I don't know. I wouldn't mind having the right green tags for 323 and 398 and I apparently have the green tags for 300 and 396 that belong to someone else. If anyone has copies of 323 and or 398 or needs copies of 300 and 396, maybe we can exchange. I may also try to contact Exemplar to see if they keep those records.

Even if this is a yawn, I thought it might be of interest to the group in light of the laser cut parts for QBs. If I am having trouble correlating S/Ns at the major assembly level, deciding if a laser cut part had been cut into a particular sub assembly build during the time in question might pose a challenge.

Attachments

• SN Summary.png
    SN Summary.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 29
Back