What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QB wing problem

BravoAlphaRomeo

Seeking advice from braintrust -
Almost done with QB wings and have noticed a problem with the left wing. It appears that the outboard W-1025A flap bracket was mounted crooked whereas it is trailing away a 1/16” at the bushing. This causes the flap and the aileron gap to tighten as the flap is lowered to the point that they almost touch.This was verified with a framing square. The inboard flap bracket seems fine. In scratching my head and looking at options, I have ruled out disassembly of the wing and repair. Two options under consideration are -
1. Make a jig where I could bend the flap bracket to where it should be, understanding I would not stress against the original mounts in any way. Maybe a small hydraulic crimper to act as a jack…
2. Carefully file away the outboard skin of the flap 1/16’ to get me back where the gap stays constant. Noting that there might be edge distance concerns with those outer rivets.

Anyway, not sure if this has been a problem for anyone else

Attachments

• IMG_2655.jpg
    IMG_2655.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 131
Bend it

Clamp a couple boards to either side of the bracket and bend the bracket in the correct direction.

Those brackets are a little bent as a result of punching and it requires to be straightened before installation. Having said that, I think you can massage it a bit to the right direction as it look very little massaging required.

Back