What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Put pants on today :)

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Nothing really hard about this, just a ton of time to get it set up and a bunch of on/off for trimming.

I understand why people kick this down the road until the last minute. Trimming these over and over to creep up on the finished product takes forever and makes a huge mess. But; I strongly suggest that the best way to do this is before you put the wings on. It would suck even worse to have to do this while scrunched up under the wing.

Attachments

• IMG_7753.jpg
    IMG_7753.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 211
Pants & Fairings

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Nothing really hard about this, just a ton of time to get it set up and a bunch of on/off for trimming.

I understand why people kick this down the road until the last minute. Trimming these over and over to creep up on the finished product takes forever and makes a huge mess. But; I strongly suggest that the best way to do this is before you put the wings on. It would suck even worse to have to do this while scrunched up under the wing.

Best time to do it. Right before hanging the heavy thing on the front.
Vans leg fairings fit fine.
I bought RV Bits Intersection Fairings. The one item from them that actually fit really good.

Last edited:
Yeah, I definitely wanted to do them before hanging the engine. I've got the leg fairings done as well. Ordered the intersection fairings from fairings-etc but I'll likely hang the engine before moving forward with them and then just do all the fiberglass finish work at once in the spring.

Mostly I just wanted to get these located and match drilled to the brackets so I didn't have to do it under the wing later.

Thanks for teh sneak peak at your kit planes article. It was very helpful.

Wheel Pants etc.

The really easy way to do this is to put the fuselage on a bench for the wheels and a stand for the tail. Now you can work on the wheel pants and fairings at a comfortable work level and you won't need a visit or three to the ciroprator(sp)

Back