What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Push Button Starter

With the Vpx automatic disable function I was satisfied putting it on the stick so that I can start the plane with out using my knees and crushing my B@#$s... In-flight inadvertent button pushing of the starter is not an issue but what about on the ground? One poster said they would put in a starter arm switch in addition to the vpx. It would be great if the VPx had a simple lock splash screen (like a smart phone) that would deter theft and accidental engagement of anything buttons on the ground.

At a rating of 50mA, 24V d.c., I wonder if these switches are adequate for closing the starter relay?

50ma is plenty to close a 10A ice cube relay to close the starter relay.

as for push buttons being unsafe then I guess every twin out there is unsafe as I have never flown a twin with anything but a non-keyed switch.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

I agree with you 100% Bob. I used something called an anti-vandal switch. Very attractive and functional. I wired a toggle switch in series with the anti-vandal switch and labeled it "Start Enable"

You basically have to turn the start enable switch on then push the button in order to get the starter to engage. As soon as it's running, I turn the "Start Enable" switch off.

Hope this helps.

50ma is plenty to close a 10A ice cube relay to close the starter relay.

as for push buttons being unsafe then I guess every twin out there is unsafe as I have never flown a twin with anything but a non-keyed switch.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Thanks, I figured as much. One relay to activate another - no thanks.

All this stuff sure is cute but lining up one gizmo after another in series is asking for trouble unless it is of very high quality.

A simple old fashioned toggle switch like the WWII fighters had will work.

relays are one thing I would not worry about using. I have used thousands in equipment and have had one failure. I would bet that the first failure would be a switch.

I do agree that the gizmos tend to get out of control. Remote start, remote canopy locks are cool stuff but the weight adds up. I prefer the KISS method and come in light. My RV-4 came in at 995lbs with a 360 and C/S prop.

The method I like is a pullable breaker on the master, hidden by the floor boards.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Last edited:
Back