What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PSA: Check your prop blades for 'this one thing' before installing!

BobbyLucas

Well Known Member
Ok, maybe this is common sense or an instruction I missed somewhere, but as a first-time builder and aviation noob I installed my shiny new 3-blade prop naively trusting that I had received an in-spec set of blades from Sensenich.

When we went to do the dynamic balancing, the baseline reading was 2.2ips. For reference, the Chadwick Helmuth Balancer Manual, https://www.csobeech.com/files/ChadwickBalancerManual.pdf, states "No propeller may be balanced whose initial reading exceeds 1.2 Inches per second velocity."

The balancer pointed precisely at one blade as the culprit. After disassembly, we found that the suspect blade was labeled with a tip weight of 43g while the other two were 32g, an 11g (34%) differential. Sensenich said the spec was <1g differential and most sets ship at <0.5g. They were shocked and apologized profusely.

With no new blades in stock, the only option available to me was to ship the blades back to Sensenich for rebalancing. And of course they would not pay for anything more than UPS ground shipping. But they did throw in a non-aviation related t-shirt for my troubles. :rolleyes:

Because of this delay, I lost my test pilot to England for a month.

Moral of the story - had I done this when I received my prop, or at least before installation, I could have taken care of it then, while still working on other things, and not be sitting here twiddling my thumbs in the nice spring sunshine. :eek:

That's a bummer and a pretty big "oops" on their part, would have thought they'd have caught that in the static balance phase. Maybe things are so precise these days they don't do a SB.

That's a bummer and a pretty big "oops" on their part, would have thought they'd have caught that in the static balance phase. Maybe things are so precise these days they don't do a SB.

Definitely not that precise, as evidenced here in the spread between the blades. Per Sensenich, each set is balanced at the factory so that the blade tip-weights are within 1g of each other. They add weight through the base of the blade as needed before capping the ends off with epoxy and applying the data label.

It appears that one of my blades belonged to a 43g set, and the other two to a 32g set. Aaaand... It has just dawned on me that someone out there has likely received the opposite Frankenstein set to my own. At least they'll have two heavy and one light I guess.

Blades have returned, all marked with 43g tip-weights. Along with swag.

Attachments

• IMG_4796 (2).jpg
    IMG_4796 (2).jpg
    508.6 KB · Views: 96
Blades were reinstalled and the new baseline reading, without dynamic balancing, is 0.05 ips. Buttery smooth! :D

Blades were reinstalled and the new baseline reading, without dynamic balancing, is 0.05 ips. Buttery smooth! :D

That's great! And, a fantastic recovery by Sensenich.

Everyone makes mistakes but I'm still curious about whether they static balance the prop (Assembly) before shipping or not. I would certainly think so, but maybe not.

Back