What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pros and Cons of the Sky Bolt fasteners

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Skybolt is offering 25 percent off on their complete cowling system. I know there are some weak points with the piano hinges, I believe along the lower sides of the -10s ?. Does anyone have experience with the Skybolt system. Would you use them to attach the upper and lower cowling vs the piano hinges.

I used the similar Milspec system on my RV-6A. No hinges and I love it. Some people don't like the look of the fasteners, but to me they look very nice - an aircraft-like accent. And the convenience is great. Some folk have also opted for a combined system - some hinges and some 1/4 turn fasteners - in order to get the finished look they were after. It is true that the hinges make a cleaner-looking attachment.

Anyway, I liked the 1/4 fasteners so much on my -6A that it is a no-brainer to use them on my -10. I've been flying the -6A since 2008 and bought the fasteners for my -10 in 2009 and not changed my mind since. Just one opinion...

Both

I used the skybolt ones on the firewall and hing pins on the sides.
Happy with the setup, although it would probably be faster taking it on and off with all skybolts. You can twist the skybolts a lot faster than taking the cover off the hing pin, and pulling it out.

I installed the Milspec version, no hinges and would do it again. I love the adjustability and replacability of them. Are the Skybolts adjustable for depth (tension)?

Bevan

I think side pins on the lower remove much easier and less gouging. Screws and nutplates on either side of the tunnel. Clean, most durable, least hassle. I like hinges on top too. Can't understand the camlok fascination, been fighting them for almost forty years.

I installed SkyBolt quarter turns on the upper cowl of my RV-10 (firewall and sides), and use pins on the lower cowl. I chose to go this route after experiencing the difficulty of removing the upper firewall pins on my RV-6A. So far, I'm really happy with the SkyBolts on my -10.

And, yes, you can adjust the depth of them fairly easily.

Aaron, could you post or e mail me a couple of pictures of the skybolt imstallation on your 10's cowling. Im trying to get a visual how they look.

I am fairly partial to the clean look of using hinge pins. I definitely like either screws or quarter turns on the bottom of the bottom cowl instead of hinge. The skybolts, IMHO, are the very best of the quarter turn fasteners. The hinge pins work very nicely if installed right and get better and easier with time, whereas quarter turns get, if anything, a little harder with wear.

It is hard to say what is better without knowing your objectives. Sometimes that is the hardest thing - saying to yourself -what do i want. And no one can tell you that.

I have SB fasteners - The company has been very very good to me. There are many factors to consider in cowl connection. Ease of R&R is one. Looks. Durability of the system. Rigidity of the connection. Ease of installation. And pillowing between individual fasteners. Remember, these quarter turns just hold the cowl in position with a spring. It is not the same as a screw with a tinnerman. And . . . it is not a distributed loading system like the hinges.

Here is a link about the durability and installation of fixed vs floating receptacles.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=112047&highlight=skybolt

To satisfy your self, make matrix and look at the various systems and research their various scores on the points above and your personal preferences to see what you conclude. Otherwise just roll the dice and pick one. Education by application. Know the limitations and weaknesses. Also the strengths and pick your path.

If you do the matrix, then you will truly be happy with your answer forever. Everyone does not want a black car. Or, just build with hinges, and screws along the bottom of the firewall. It is proven, looks very clean and does not cost much extra, you will have the instructions and lots of people to help in building.

Happy decision making !

I used hinges on the sides between the upper and lower cowl and a Milspec set on the firewall. The straight hinges on the sides are a cinch to remove and replace; the Milspecs on the firewall are the same.
I helped a friend remove his cowl a couple of times with the curved hinges on the firewall .... It was a bit of a hassle compared to 1/4 turn fastener, IMO. if I were building again today I'd use my same combination system. I really liked the depth adjustment feature of the Milspecs.
But it's really helpful to see examples first hand. better yet, help someone remove their cowl and then see what you think.

I used them on the top cowl of my -6A and the -10. Love them. On the -6A I had to fabricate the flange that the sockets were mounted on. The brackets that they came up with made this a very easy job on the -10.

The only downside is that when putting the top cowl on, the protruding fasteners can hang up in the wrong hole. They also can scratch the paint if you are not careful. I put wide blue painters tape on the fuselage before removing or installing the top or bottom cowls.

Rich,

Here's a pic I just took of the cowl. Lighting isn't great since I took it in the hanger.

i-6F3mzQQ-L.jpg

Sky bolt

I have a LOT of skybolts on my plane. Cowl,oil door,wheel pants and more. They adjust nicely and work very well. I used mostly straight slots so I can use a dime or penny to remove or install.

Back