What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop Hub Specifications & Dimensions

Canadian_JOY

Well Known Member
After spending many hours reading here it appears the RV crowd is pretty solidly impressed with Craig Catto's props, and the Sensenich and Whirlwind ground adjustable props seem to do well in the lower horsepower RV's.

I'm wondering if anybody here might be able to provide me with a little education around prop hub specs for the hubs we normally see on the typical RV's (SAE number 1) versus the prop hub specs for a small Continental with a tapered crankshaft (like a C85-8)? I seem to be coming up dry for any specifics on the requirements for the hub and, as an outgrowth, for the mating prop for these engines.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide, even if it's only a reference to another on-line data source.

Again, to keep this RV-related, I'm still trying to figure out if all of the wooden props used on RVs are SAE 1 hubs or if some of them might be compatible with a tapered crankshaft. While metal and carbon look terrific, there's something about a wooden prop on an RV3 that just screams "FUN!".

OK, I finally found a source for some decent information on the topic and answered it myself (thank you, Sensenich). The Continental tapered crankshaft uses a hub which is largely the same as an SAE 1, minus the drive lugs present on a typical SAE 1 hub which engage in counterbores in the back of the prop. The "bolt kit" required to mount a standard SAE 1 prop includes "spacers" which fill those drive lug counterbores in the prop.

The good news is the sexy Catto and similar props that we so often see on RV's can fit on a tapered hub. This is very good news indeed.

Back