What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop governor mounting question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
I am in the throws of mounting the prop governor. My question is that the Lycoming website shows a spacer between the governor and the engine. Is this needed and if so where can I get one?
Also, the studs that are used for the governor and throttle body mounting are coarse thread like 5/16-18. Is this correct? Maybe they just have not changed them since the 1920s because of liability. What about the nuts for these? Should I use the little thin ones they put on it at the factory?
Thanks in advance!

I am in the throws of mounting the prop governor. My question is that the Lycoming website shows a spacer between the governor and the engine. Is this needed and if so where can I get one?
Also, the studs that are used for the governor and throttle body mounting are coarse thread like 5/16-18. Is this correct? Maybe they just have not changed them since the 1920s because of liability. What about the nuts for these? Should I use the little thin ones they put on it at the factory?
Thanks in advance!

What you need is a lycoming prop governor drive adapter (do a google image search on the phrase and the first few photos will be of what you need). Another part of the system is a line or hose that goes between a fitting on the drive adapter and the front nose section of the engine case.
If you don't have these parts on your engine, it is possible (but not a certainty) that your engine is not capable of using a constant speed prop.

What you need is a lycoming prop governor drive adapter (do a google image search on the phrase and the first few photos will be of what you need). Another part of the system is a line or hose that goes between a fitting on the drive adapter and the front nose section of the engine case.
If you don't have these parts on your engine, it is possible (but not a certainty) that your engine is not capable of using a constant speed prop.

Don't forget to check the crankshaft for presence (or absence) of the appropriate plug(s).

This is a new Lycoming IO 360 M1B that I ordered through Van,s. The line to the front of the engine is in place. Maybe I am seeing things on the Lycoming site. I will go check again.

What exactly is the question?

I just took the Hartzell governor with the instructions with it and bolted it on. I used the Lycoming torque on specifications provided with the engine. Just be sure to use the gasket with the screen and point it in the direction that it fits nicely and does not crush the screen. M1B and governor from Vans. The engine case is bolted together with nuts , "the little thin ones", that came off the cover plate. Is there some reason for concern?

What are you missing?

My question came from reviewing Lycoming SB 1438A for installing propellor governors on dual magneto engines that states that P/N LW-12347 is required with some prop governors. It does not say which ones. Since nobody else seems to have worried about this and just bolted it on maybe that is what I will end up doing but I think I am going to give Lycoming a call anyway.

My question came from reviewing Lycoming SB 1438A for installing propellor governors on dual magneto engines that states that P/N LW-12347 is required with some prop governors. It does not say which ones. Since nobody else seems to have worried about this and just bolted it on maybe that is what I will end up doing but I think I am going to give Lycoming a call anyway.

Here is a thread I just started to clarify this. YOU NEED THE PLATE!

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=1120922#post1120922

According to Van's builder assistance, the second gasket and plate is only necessary for Lycoming engines that have a dual magneto, i.e. engines with a "D" at the end of the engine code, e.g. IO-360-A3B6D.

A dual magneto engine is not the same an engine that has two magnetos. Apparently a common source of confusion in nomenclature. Google reveals a number of explanations, e.g. https://www.qaa.com/blog/what_is_a_dual_magneto

Therefore, the IO-360-M1B does NOT require a plate or second gasket. The cover is removed, governor is "clocked" as required for the orientation of the prop control cable/bracket, and then installed with the single gasket that comes with the (MT-Propeller, anyway) governor.

Back