What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop/Engine Balancer

BruceP

Well Known Member
There was a post started by Tim Davie on Facebook on the Van's Air Force - Facebook Wing group about prop/engine balancer rings. He asked specifically about the BalanceMaster Lycoming Engine Balancer Ring and posted a link to another brand called CentraMatic at CentraMatic.com/aviation-plane-balancers.rhtml

There were some responses but thought I'd post here for anyone's thoughts and experiences?

Maybe there's not much experience out there with these, ergo not much in the way of a reply ... ?

A quick look shows that the first one mentioned is for trucks and motorhome engines?, and the other isn't up for sale yet but the existing ones sold are for wheels ... hmmm ...

I built a canard pusher LongEZ and about 10 years ago I purchased a Balance Master for a Lyc O-320-E2D with a 3 Blade Catto. I used a Dynavibe to do the dynamic balancing, but still had some vibration which I thought might be removed by the Balance Master.

Pushers are hard to get smooth at all flight conditions. Using the Dynavibe and testing at different RPM I have rarely gotten it smooth at all RPM. I found that inverting the prop from a Y at #1 TDC to an inverted Y made a huge difference and was much smoother at all RPM before using the Dynavibe. Once I found the best orientation, the Dynavibe seemed to point to a good solution. At least that is my experience.

The Balance Master didn't have any effect on my vibration. I think it is limited by the amount of fluid inside. In a tractor configuration, it might do some good if you had a good balance to start with and were trying to trim it up, specifically if there were differences at specific RPM and a few tenths of grams balance weights.

I will say he, was MORE than annoyed when I sent it back for a refund. But I did get the money back.

Back