What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Primary Training Recommendations, Near DC

Pounder

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Looking for recommendations/referrals for primary flight training in the northern vicinity of DC.

My stepson recently moved to Silver Springs, MD. He was very close to finishing his PPL before this new job commitment commenced.

I’m checking with a couple of schools operating at Montgomery County (KGAI) which is the shortest commute.

W50 Davis, CGS College Park, VKX Potomac/Rose Valley. All are in the SFRA, have him do the SFRA training online, the latter 2 are in the FRZ. Websites have intel.
None of these are near as busy as GAI.
FDK is about :45 drive up Rte 270, but usually a busy pattern as well.
Good luck,
Mark

I belong to a club at 2W2. Its a little far from Silver Spring but its a good community. There is small waitlist at the moment but it could only be a month or two wait.

My computer doesn't have enough ink in it to write all the bad things about learning to fly at FDK. The flight school wouldn't allow touch and goes (or stop and goes) while solo, so you get about 2/hour. Long taxiing, controllers are at best the B team (near misses), long extensions down wind for incoming jets on 10 mile straight ins... and people waiting at the hold. Schools aren't teaching to slow down in the pattern either... so you're extending 4-5 miles downwind and it continues to grow. Poor or no maintenance... I was the first passenger for my new pilot... took a 172 she used for training, ended up writing 4 squawks on the plane and the maintenance guy told me "I know, the parts were on order...".

I don't recommend Aviation Adventures (anymore) at any of their locations. Mostly kids building hours and not providing any real instruction. Maintenance is a problem. The planes get a lot of use and it is difficult to schedule, only to get bumped from several fights due to maintenance. Getting ready for your PPL check ride doesn't get you any priority. Lots of unnecessary and repeated "stage checks".

I've added 2 pilots to the family in the last 18 months. My advice is to interview the school and check their schedule to see the availability, find an instructor who is older and can provide some value in the cockpit, what are the limitations placed on solo students (full stalls, T&G, alternate airports, etc.), find out who does their maintenance (the shortage of A&Ps is a real problem). All of these things will waste you time an money. Check out the airfield and make sure they aren't planning major construction (that was a big problem at FDK). I might listen to liveatc.net for the field your thinking about and see how things go there.

Good luck... it's rough out there.

MTCW

Back