What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pre assembled sub assemblies - Questions

Brantel

Well Known Member
So I am back from my almost 3 week Hawaiian Cruise vacation and I am eyeballing this mountain of parts I have in front of me and had a question for the RV12 experts....

Are the pre-assembled sub assemblies supplied for the fuse center section built from clear anodized parts or are these parts coated with something else? They feel weird to me. Same goes for the non gold anodized angles that are preinstalled on the wing spars.

After looking at these pre-assembled sub assemblies closely, I noticed the very minimal edge prep and little to no hole deburring done on these parts (including the main wing spars) before they are riveted. Makes me think that I am way too anal about how I prep parts.

I can't answer the anodizing question but I'm at the same place in the build as you. I asked Van's about the lack of edge prep and was told it has been tested and is A-OK, but doesn't mean we can skip any edge prep ourselves.

Priming

I assumed they were not treated at all - they looked to be 6061 aluminum. So per my rule of "trust the alclad and prime everything else" - I primed the center section and the angles on the Spars. (note I also prime the alclad where directed by the KIA)

Paul Fisher
RV-12iS
Phoenix Az

Last edited:
Back