What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Powerplant Kit Price Increase - Missed the Announcement!

cactusman

Well Known Member
Patron
So was starting to fill out the power plant order form and decided to check to see if I had the latest form?.nope?the new one is up and almost $1000 more!

Yikes!

Did anyone see an announcement on this increase or was this in stealth mode like the recent fuel tank changes?

From the website: "Prices and lead times are subject to change without notice."(emphasis mine) That said, it's pretty well known that there is an annual price increase about this time.

From the website: "Prices and lead times are subject to change without notice."(emphasis mine) That said, it's pretty well known that there is an annual price increase about this time.

Yeah - but it seems like they usually give you a heads up. Not that it matters much - ordered the finish kit with a $600 fuel tank option only to have to tear it apart for two mods 60 days later - not too mention scratching my head trying to figure out how to avoid tearing into Abby's nice upholstery and carpet and leather backer.

Little pissed right now - please forgive me.

The notification of the annual kit price increase only applies to airframe kits that are (for the most part) produced in their entirety by Van's (costs can be better controlled/monitored)
There has never been a policy of notifying customers of pending price increases for items that fall outside of the airframe kit. Like engines for example. Van's usually doesn't know of a price increase until the next order is placed.

The powerplant kit is strongly influenced by international exchange rates, which are not always easy to predict. Spare a thought for us Aussies. Over the last 4 months, I have watched the proice of my soon to be purchased engine kit go up by about $5000 thanks to the miracle of currency markets. Not complaining, just saying.
In the end, when I am flying an aircraft I built myself, I doubt the price of the engine will be uppermost in my mind.;)
Cheers,
Dave Hastwell

Back