What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Powdercoating - parts or complete

stigaro

Well Known Member
I'm looking to get my rudder pedals powdercoated, but I'm wondering if it makes more sense to get this done as one riveted complete piece or should I have the individual parts done and then rivet them together later? I see advantages to either approach? Thanks.

I'm looking to get my rudder pedals powdercoated, but I'm wondering if it makes more sense to get this done as one riveted complete piece or should I have the individual parts done and then rivet them together later? I see advantages to either approach? Thanks.

I would recommend powder coating then riveting. This avoids exposing the rivets to the bake cycle and potentially reducing the strength of the aluminum alloy by altering its temper.

Powder coat

I would recommend powder coating then riveting. This avoids exposing the rivets to the bake cycle and potentially reducing the strength of the aluminum alloy by altering its temper.

Also looks really cool. Mine are Anodized.

Last edited:

There's ~ couple hundred degF margin between powder coat temps and the start of any annealing. There's other reasons to pick order of operation but affecting the metallurgy isn't one of them.

Edit = @ the OP. Might check if there's a Cerakote vendor near you. More coating options and man is it tough (the original hot process). It seems to have more chemical resistant than powder coat as well; at least the local processes available to me. Just another thought/option.

Last edited:
There's ~ couple hundred degF margin between powder coat temps and the start of any annealing. There's other reasons to pick order of operation but affecting the metallurgy isn't on of them

I agree that data varies on this. Some studies have demonstrated no difference. Some studies have demonstrated about a 10% reduction in strength after powder coating. You can pick your data and follow it.

My strategy is to remain conservative where safety margins are low or not known. Each builders threshold is their own.

Type-3 Anodizing will hold up better, that's what I did to mine. Individual parts, assembled afterwards, the rivets look kind of cool against the black pedals :p:D

Also looks really cool. Mine are Anodized.

Indeed!

DSC_6889.jpg

I did powder coat pedals (already assembled) on 2 planes. No strength issues but the pedals did show scuff marks after 400 hrs.

Back