What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Portable GPS

Brent Colvin

Well Known Member
Looking for a New Garmin GPS. Have used 396, 496 for years, and loved them.Used 510 some, but do not like touch screen. Have to push way to hard to activate buttons. 796 works great, but really don't want, need that. 660? Anybody use this model? Thoughts. Reviews are not what I expected from Garmin. Any users here. I have a GTN650 in my 7 and love it.

Garmin Aera 660

Brent,

I just upgraded from a 296 and am very pleased. The Aera 660 is way brighter and easier to see than the 296 was. Easy to use menus, intuitive swapping between all the menus. Drives my EZ Pilot, sends comm frequency data and terrain warnings to the GTR 200 (with audio "terrain" and "pull-up" warnings).

Still have all the standard 296 stuff- direct to, nearest, etc plus it talks to the GDL 39 3D via Bluetooth and with the built in GDL AHARS it can display a really nice synthetic vision page. Easy updates to the databases and software via wifi.

Pretty nice unit.

Oly

I have a 696 gizmo mounted with Gdl39 both hardwired for power. I use it for weather, XM radio through the audio panel, and charting.

My navigator is GNS430W coupled to the EFIS/AP

I used to use the GPSMAP496 with the GDL39. I like the the larger size of the 696, and the controls are better with the push/twist/toggle, dedicated buttons, and soft buttons.

If XM radio isn't of interest to you there is the 695.

Back