What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Polished spinner

I installed one on my RV-8. Things to know:
- The spinner was short by ~1/8” or so when using the front support plate he provided (the rear of the spinner was not flush with the back plate). I used a 20 ton press and dies to create a depression on the front plate so that the spinner moved aft the needed 1/8”. It now fits. Still have the dies if you need.
- He knows about the problem and modified the front plate. Do not know if it fixed the problem or not.
- Fitting is tedious - as in measure a bunch of times before drilling holes.
- Polishing was a PITA, so the $150 is well worth it.
- Too early to report on durability (360 hours on the plane, 2.5 years).

I used a Hartzell 14” polished spinner on my RV-10 (James cowl). It was gorgeous. They come in 13” as well and can special ordered from Vans. Guessing on price but I suspect it to be around $1500. While more expensive it just bolts on in a few minutes.

Before fixing front plate:
8-D74597-D-567-D-4-C46-948-A-5-A47228-F191-E.jpg

Front plate after pressing with dies:
A8109-DBB-ED8-E-4-C8-D-A8-FA-3-E57-A5-FF6-B48.jpg

Final hole drilling:
2739355-B-3738-4131-A3-D3-F773004-D53-C7.jpg

Carl

Last edited:
I have the Hartzell polished spinner on my RV-14A. As Carl said, just bolts on and I believe his price is probably correct, now. Looks great and easy to maintain. Others have had theirs chrome plated for even easier maintenance.

Last edited:
I have one complete with the back plate and just as Carl's picture shows with about 1/8" of the back plate showing. If you like to make me an offer for the entire set. It has about 50 hours on it and it is perfectly true (no wobble)

Cummins??

U need to verify he is still in business. Many posts on VAF in recent years about no response.
I got mine shortly after he announced it. 2015 or 2016? No issues with mine. 1000+ hours.

Back