What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pneumatic Grinder: Inline or 90 Degree?

Which Grinder: Inline or 90 Degree?

• Inline Grinder

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • 90 Degree Grinder

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Neither (Waste of money - Just use files and snips)

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Both (Each is unique enough to justify the cost)

Votes: 30 63.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jpurban

I'm still making my tooling purchases to equip my shop and been doing a lot of reading. It seems that many of you use grinders for sheet metal cutting (instead of snips), deburring and polishing of edges/inner rib holes, etc.

However, I wonder which is better, inline or 90 degree grinders. If you could only have one, which would you buy?

I would not be without both, but if I had to choose only one I would go with the Inline.

Last edited:
.....which is better, inline or 90 degree grinders. If you could only have one, which would you buy?....
"Better" is only a matter of opinion. Very familiar with both types, I happen to own an inline and a 90? grinder. Over the years I have used each type grinder extensively. I find that each has advantages but in practice I almost always prefer the 90? grinder, personally finding its configuration more a ergonomic alternative. In fact, I cannot remember a time I actually used the inline grinder on my RV projects although I would not hesitate if I did not already enjoy the luxury of choice.

e67h2c.jpg

I only use the inline with a cutoff wheel, the 90 is the go to tool for sanding and scotchbrite discs, and I use it alot! I could not live without the 90.

As cheap as their are at Harbor Freight when on sale it makes sense to hav e 2 of them. One set up with a Scotch Bright wheel and one with the sanding dics. Saves set up time, and you can sell them when you are done.

I use 'em both - they are pretty cheap at Home Depot or Lowes. I just wore out my first in line one - I think it came from "Builder's Square" - yup, it was that old. Probably cost 19.95. Well worth it! I use it mostly with a carbide cutter for carving metal. The 90 has the 2" disk adapter more or less permanently installed, and we use it with sanding disks and scotchbrite for fine shaping and finishing all sorts of parts. Wouldn't be without either of them.

buy lots of 'em

Someone on this forum - apologies I can't recall who - suggested that I get a lot of both and configure them with the right adapters for each type of wheel. This was excellent advice. They are so cheap that having one for each config was really handy.

Get Both, you'll be glad you did

I vote with the get them both crowd. I?ve used the high dollar ones at work, I?m sure they have bearings instead of bushings, and the cheapos from HF, and there is no difference for the kind of work we do. Granted, you my wear a cheapo out in the process of building your plane, but at 15 or 20 bucks, just get a new one. You?ll still be money ahead verses the top of the line models that can get into the $100 or more range. I?m a tool and die maker, and it?s rare that I would ever recommend a cheaper tool. I?ve also got a little 1/8 inch pencil grinder, and I?ll admit it?s a Sioux (high dollar) 70,000 RPM that I love, and it doesn?t use much air. So, I guess I?ve got 3, and use them all.

I use 'em both - they are pretty cheap at Home Depot or Lowes. I just wore out my first in line one - I think it came from "Builder's Square" - yup, it was that old. Probably cost 19.95. Well worth it! I use it mostly with a carbide cutter for carving metal. The 90 has the 2" disk adapter more or less permanently installed, and we use it with sanding disks and scotchbrite for fine shaping and finishing all sorts of parts. Wouldn't be without either of them.

Is there a scotchbrite disk for a 2" adapter? If
so, who sells them.

Thanks

Bob

2" Scotch Brite Discs -

Nothing against McMaster-Carr or the other big boys, but anyone looking for 2" Discs can find them in stock at at least two different advertisers on this site:

My company, Brown Tool, sells Merit brand abrasives on our site and we have 2" discs in stock for immediate delivery (ours are the standard "Roll-On" style, compatible with 3M's Roloc(TM) style). You can locate them on our website, under the abrasives section, here:
http://www.browntool.com/Default.as...1&Level=a&SortField=ProductName,ProductNumber

Bob Avery also stocks 3M abrasive discs and surface prep discs on his site here:
http://www.averytools.com/products.asp?dept=3

On a side note, if you do not have a copy of our 152 page catalog, please visit our website at www.browntool.com and click on the "Request a Catalog" tab at the top of every page and we will mail you a free catalog - and, as an extra bonus, you will receive one of our collectible tool box stickers, the latest edition features an F-14 Tomcat. :cool:

As always, we appreciate the support of the RV community!

Michael Brown
Brown Aviation Tool Supply Co.
Oklahoma City, OK

www.browntool.com
1-800-587-3883

Put me down as not needed. However, I did use a small metal chop saw on some straight pieces and a pneumatic body saw for cutting irregular lines, such as the hole for the landing lights in the leading edges of the wings. Pick up a few sets of good files in different sizes and you will be fine.

If you are tooling up, I would suggest you wait on this purchase. There are other tools you might/will get more use out of. As your build progresses, you will soon recognize which tools you really need/desire.

Absolutely right!

Nothing against McMaster-Carr or the other big boys, but anyone looking for 2" Discs can find them in stock at at least two different advertisers on this site:

My company, Brown Tool, sells Merit brand abrasives on our site and we have 2" discs in stock for immediate delivery (ours are the standard "Roll-On" style, compatible with 3M's Roloc(TM) style). You can locate them on our website, under the abrasives section, here:
http://www.browntool.com/Default.as...1&Level=a&SortField=ProductName,ProductNumber

Bob Avery also stocks 3M abrasive discs and surface prep discs on his site here:
http://www.averytools.com/products.asp?dept=3

On a side note, if you do not have a copy of our 152 page catalog, please visit our website at www.browntool.com and click on the "Request a Catalog" tab at the top of every page and we will mail you a free catalog - and, as an extra bonus, you will receive one of our collectible tool box stickers, the latest edition features an F-14 Tomcat. :cool:

As always, we appreciate the support of the RV community!

Michael Brown
Brown Aviation Tool Supply Co.
Oklahoma City, OK

www.browntool.com
1-800-587-3883

Absolutely right, I guess it?s just a knee jerk reaction, as we get a lot of our industrial stuff for work from McMaster-Carr, but you?re right, in the future I?ll check availability from the advertisers on this site.

Back