What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PMags and G3X

azonic75

Well Known Member
I'm wiring my engine monitoring system and was wondering what people are using for their tach output.

Will the G3x read the tach output off the Pmags? One or both?

Kai

I'm wiring my engine monitoring system and was wondering what people are using for their tach output.

Will the G3x read the tach output off the Pmags? One or both?

Hello Kai,

Yes, the G3X system is compatible with the tach output from various electronic ignitions systems, including the P-Mag. Since the P-Mag tach signal is available regardless of whether or not its P-lead input is grounded, you really only need to connect the tach output from one P-Mag.

For dual electronic ignition system installations using ignitions other than the P-Mag, you canconnect the tach outputs from both ignitions as shown in Figure H-1.2 of the G3X Install Manual and the system will use whichever RPM signal is the higher of the two.

thanks,
- Matt

As Matt said - it works great! I connected both before I realized that the P-Mags worked as Matt explained - just more redundancy I guess.

Thanks

Thanks guys.

Paul,

Did you use the ammeter shunts supplied with the kit or go will Hall effect sensors?

Kai

If the G3X has two electronic tach inputs, wire them both up.

In my preflight, I not only ground the P-mags but drop power to them as well. In this case, it stops reporting the RPM; however, because I have both of them wired up and I only power one down at a time, I still get a tach reading. This setup is with a Dynon, not a Garmin.

EI options

Has anyone used an electronic ignition set up that consisted of a LightSpeed III with a P-Mag. Are they compatible? :eek:

Thanks,

Grim

Back