What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PIREPs from OSH'10

Friday departures

Some of my friends headed home today. I am still at AirVenture.

Sunblock:
P1010416.JPG

Cougar:
P1010414.JPG

Goose:
P1010415.JPG

More Friday photos can be found in my Picasa album.

Just had a phone call from them. They are spending the night in Grand Junction and should be back on the LEFT Coast Saturday.

Sunday arrival if anyone is left to say hello

I plan on arriving early early on Sunday so I can get a cup of coffee and see all I can see in one day....Just could not get away this week and its been frustrating....but better late than never. If anyone sees a freshly polished 8 in the RV parking please say hello. Looking forward to seeing whoever is left
Doug

I'll be there

Come by the Federal Pavilion. And, I know that Matt Burch will still be at the Garmin tent. Paul plans to head out Sunday morning.

Louise and I are still here - would like to meet you Doug! I'm probably departing mid-day Sunday in the truck, but Louise has to stay untill closing - she is probably going to steal an airplane....;)

Will try

Weather looks good so far so I plan on being there as early as possible, will try and say hello Paul before you head out and will stop by the Federal Pavilion as well to say hello to Louise

I'm still here until 5:00 on Sunday... come talk to me about my panel (outside Hangar D) and I'll give you a t-shirt! And hey, I might have to get in on some of this airplane stealing that Louise is organizing. There are some cool ones up here that I wouldn't mind going home with. ;)

mcb

i was involved with the EAA........

during the 2003 year when the wright flyer was promoted. i have probably loged a couple hours or more in that thing. the most important thing is not to fly high, because it wont, it will stall. we had a lot of fun setting the computer to a easy setting and then it flew like a F1 Rocket. not really.

it was fun getting to the ocean and flying by the boats. crashing in the water made a big splash!

Van looks very focused. the dog looks focused. fun machine.

Since nearly everyone flies it until it crashes, I'd estimate that about 95%-99% of the folks who try the Wright Flyer do crash. Of course, if you are content to only fly as far as the Wright boys in December of 1903, many would land successfully.

A fellow from the EAA museum, who was involved with developing the simulator, told me that no one initially succeeded in flying it so they had to "dumb it down" to allow at least some flight. It's still very tough. That said, I've seen a hand full of people figure out how to sustain flight, including RV notables Mike Seager and Gus Funnell. Another outstanding aviator was Dixie:

IMG_4196.JPG

Last edited:
This morning I got to wipe the rainwater off Doug's RV-6 with a shamwow. Now who can top that experience? ;)

mcb

What is a shamwow?

Maybe its a small dog.

I use a chamois myself.

Sorry but I could not resist posting this reply. I really enjoyed reading all your reports on Osh10. Maybe next year

100LL $3.39 at KMBY for AirVenture

Stopped at Moberly, MO (KMBY) on my way home from Oshkosh today. I paid $3.39 (USD) per US gallon of 100LL. They were selling 100LL for $3.55 1-week before Oshkosh but dropped their price for AirVenture. I asked if they needed to see my EAA member card to get that price and was told that was the price to everyone during AirVenture week. The price will be going back up after AirVenture. IMHO, I thought $3.55 was cheap.

What is a shamwow?

Maybe its a small dog.

I use a chamois myself.

A chamois-like product sold via annoying television advertisements. Consider yourself lucky to be unfamiliar!

We got several afternoons of light sprinkles, just enough to make the dust stick to the showplanes. We exhibitors are constantly busy trying to keep things shiny and nice for your enjoyment. :)

mcb

'Got back yesterday after a great few days. A bit of storm dodging between Raton and Sedona but no real problems.
One highlight was the guy who walked up to me and gave me 2 tickets for the Van's banquet that he couldn't use (I was wearing a VAF T-shirt). So many thanks to Jason Tremble (your name was on the envelope), your loss was 2 RV drivers' gain and we very much enjoyed Paul's Space Shuttle talk. The 'flight test' summary put us earth-bound mortals in our place.
I've put a big bundle of pics on http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t50/alberym/Oshkosh 2010/?start=all
My stats: (according to Garmin) 3777 track miles, 21.6 flying hours, avg ground speed 175mph and 140 galls of Avgas burnt - what great machines.

Fun time!

Come on up Mark. The grounds have dried out pretty well and there is plenty of parking available amongst the other RVs.

I can't believe how far we've come in a week.

Jeff,
I got there Friday and went home Sunday. I looked for you a few times around the HBC headquarters but never found you.

You guys do a great job! The early (5:30AM) coffee compliments of Wicks Supply was GREAT! My next order is going to Wicks!!

Mark

Congrats -- well deserved

[Post moved to Awards thread]

Last edited:
Back