What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pictures of do-it-yourself interiors?

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
A lot of the interiors that are professionally done look really nice, but my budget will not allow them. I'm planning on mostly a painted interior but will likely put a few pieces of fabric here or there. I'm wondering if anyone who has done their own interior (side panels/arm rests especially) can post pictures showing what's possible. It would really help me know whether what I want is doable (by me). Thanks for any ideas.

My sew-it-yourself interior

There are a few pictures of the interior I sewed for my 6A at this website...
http://www.eaa582.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=19&page=1

I bought the foam from Van's and the fabric from a local auto upholstery supply store. They let me take the fabric sample books home so my wife could help with the color & texture decisions. The fabric cost ~$200 and at the time Van's foam was also about $200.

I also sewed seat heater elements ($70 for both seats) between the blue fabric and a 1/2" foam filler-layer that went over Van's foam. I love my heated seats the most after preflighting in single digit temps, while I wait for the engine to warm up!

The side panels are made of corrugated plastic sign-board with a single layer of thin batting material and the color fabric wrapped around and glued on with 3M #77 spray adhesive. Real quick and simple. Most are just friction fit into the plane, 1 or 2 have a small piece of Velcro on the back.

The armrests took a little trial & error. After the seats were done I sat in the cockpit making airplane noises. I decided I wanted to be able to rest my elbow on the armrest without leaning over, that required a layer of 2" (firm) foam. I mounted the foam to a piece of 3/8 plywood so I could staple the fabric cover on, and I mounted the armrest pad to the airplane with short wood screws, the ONLY wood screws in my all-metal airplane! The wood also adds a bunch of much-needed stiffness to the armrest.

It took me about 6 weeks to make everything (nights & weekends). If you have more time than money (like me) then I think it's worth it. I never did any kind of upholstery before I started on this, but then again, I never built an airplane either! It was a great learning experience, the next time will be much easier.

I don't know how much complete interiors are going for, but I have less than $500 + labor in my very custom interior. It also gave me an opportunity to teach my (then) 9 year old daughter how to use the sewing machine. This and the pride in knowing I did it myself = Priceless! I say go for it!

Last edited:
An alternative to the high dollar interiors

I did my interior using materials from Flightline Interiors, Abby (the owner) is very nice to work with and does a great job, and they are very reasonably priced in comparison to some of the others.

Rigging139.jpg
Rigging144.jpg

Here are the panels I made for my interior. I used corrugated backer board from a local fabric shop and some 1/4" foam covered with leather.
Rigging140.jpg
Rigging143.jpg

The units are then glued to the side of the interior with adhesive. I've popped them off once to work underneath them. I just pry off the glob of adhesive and re-glue them back in place.
Rigging141.jpg
Rigging142.jpg

I thought they turned out okay. I'm about to remove them again so I can have them embroidered with the new theme for my airplane, once I get it back from the paint shop.

f1rocket said:
Rigging141.jpg
Rigging142.jpg

I thought they turned out okay. I'm about to remove them again so I can have them embroidered with the new theme for my airplane, once I get it back from the paint shop.
"Okay" is an understatement, Randy! Fanastic, as good or better than the professional, is better way to describe it! How did you pick up the skills to do that? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Thanks Steve. Actually, it is quite easy to do. I don't have any special skills. I cut the backerboard to fit the areas I wanted to cover. I then cut the 1/4" foam to match, sprayed on some 3M sprayable adhesive, and stuck the foam to the board. I cut the leather slightly larger than the panel and cut little "V"s at the corners. I sprayed the back of the leather with adhesive and gave it a moment to set up. I then position the backerboard/foam over the back of the leather and set it in place. I pulled the edges around the corner and stuck them to the back. That's it. Anyone can do it. I used some general adhesive from Home Depot to stick the backerboard to the aluminum. None have come off in over a year and I can pop them off if I have to.

WOW! Awesome interior!

OK Randy, your interior must get ooohs and ahhhs wherever you go, and you must get a lot of this-
How about the wood trim? Real wood or...? Did you put the finish on or buy it that way? Any special installation for that? Approx how much weight? Looks like it carries on along the bottom of the instrument panel, or did it switch to leather?

The wood trim is black walnut cut into 1/4" strips and finished with Poly. They are cut and glued in place like the side panels. The wood across the bottom of the panel is attached with screws, up from the bottom.

The total look of the airplane is changing as I have the airplane in the paint shop right now.

Back