What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Size

shiney

Well Known Member
I'm working on my panel and due to my instrumentation I'm having to fit a non standard sizetotal. The CAD is coming out at a size 15.562 to throttle bracket, which in my view is too big, what do you think to this size and what sizes are your bespoke panels?

Shiney :)

I have an Affordable Panels "XL" model panel frame, which is an inch taller than the stock panel - 11.9" from top to bottom at the tallest point. I'm 6'1" and my legs fit under it just fine, although the difference from the standard height is still noticeable. I have been in other RV's that had much taller than normal panels, and they were uncomfortable to me. I'd think that a 15.5" tall panel would be just about unusable by the majority of the population. :(

good luck,
mcb

By the way, I should also add that my choice of a taller than normal panel had another side effect: The lowered bottom edge made it impossible to fit the F-746 engine control bracket without having it bang me in the knee. So that forced me to use a (narrower) throttle quadrant instead, which subsequently led to other challenges with cable routing and control throws. I worked through it all and I'm very pleased with the results, but it would have been less work to stick with the stock panel height.

It's true what they say, it really does go faster if you stick to the plans... but sometimes you still just have to do your own thing. :)

mcb

Knee banging

I also used the Affordable XL panel and had the same issue as Matt (6' 3") with the knee hitting the throttle sub panel, I bought a pre manufactured throttle sub panel with a shaped curved edge that helped some.

See the finished panel picture in the blog album (link below)

I think I'm getting there

panelvy4.gif

I think I'm getting closer to finalising this panel but I'd like some feedback from the forum. The side both left and right of centre will be 11.625” tall give or take .25”, the centre (where the AvMap, GTX330 and SL40 are) will be at max 14” which includes the control section.

If any builder with panel installed can compare measurements for me it would be a great help, and if you think there is something that won't work on this panel please post your thoughts,

Cheers

Shiney :)

Last edited:
Shiney talked with the guys a GRT at Oshkosh and if I'm not mistaken the trio's and tru track servo's are compatible with there new horizon panel with auto pilot. I think it should be out shortly if not already. They also said that the EIS can be located anywhere in the plane because that info goes into the horizon from the EIS. Under the panel was ok. Might free up some space if you need it. Just a thought. Check with Greg.

PJ

To add to my dimensions quoted above... my panel is just a shade under 12" tall at the fuselage centerline. The throttle quadrant sticks down another 6 inches, but is only 2" wide. In my case, once I got the panel installed it was pretty obvious that I needed to go with a quadrant to leave myself any legroom.

I highly recommend making a cardboard mockup of your panel, fitting it to the fuselage, and sitting in the seat to see how you fit. Only you will know for sure if you've got enough room to be comfortable! In my case, I even bought my seats before I started my panel, so I had a pretty good idea of how it was going to turn out.

good luck,
mcb

There is no doubt your panel will fit in the plane. That being said, you are kind of pushing the limits of height that I normally like to see in the side by side RV's. Literally every side/side panel we do is extended somewhat, but I like to try and keep it within 1-1.25" of Van's original panel. Several good options have been mentioned, like the relocation of the EIS, possibly using 2.25" backups, etc..

Overall, it really is like Matt said. It depends on what fits you. Me, that would be too deep, even with my preference for cut down sticks. For some, it's fine and no problem. I know you're a bit more constrained than we are with not being able to relocate/modify the braces on the panel, and a slider would give you a lot more wiggle room for location of 'stuff', but you are where you are and I think overall you'll be ok.

Moving to a smaller GPS would and smaller backups would give you back a lot of vertical space. For example, a Garmin GPSxxx would probably allow you to put the EIS over in that stack if you want, and with the smaller backups it'd be easy.

Now for some separate critique (actually just my opinion). I try really hard to keep things as symmetrical as possible in a panel. For example, I'd like to see your screens on the same horizontal plane. That means moving the compass so the screens can be aligned. Using the new ProPilot from Trio or a Digiflight II from TruTrak will save a lot of space being used by the AP section. Actually, I'd shoot for the Digiflight IIVSGV, because it couples nicely with the GRT's and is only 2.25" in diameter, or 1.25" tall in a flat version. That frees up a ton of room. You've also got a lot of freedom with the AOA display (it can be moved up and over) as well as possibly using the PM3000 vertically to get that room to use. In all reality, with a little tweaking you should be able to have a "double width" radio stacks between the hinges, allowing you to keep the AvMap if you desire, but in order to do that you'd need to downsize to the 2.25" backups, get the TruTrak AP, and a few other tweaks. Then you'd get back at least and inch or so on the bottom of the panel, and the other plus is it would get back to being a bit more symmetrical as well as giving you a bit more freedom on locating things more traditionally. It'd also allow you to get the switches back on the pilot side of the aircraft....or were you planning on flying it from the right seat? If that's the case, then perhaps relocation of the Autopilot, et.al makes sense as well. I have a lot of ideas, but not enough time to type them all out. I like to make things ergonomic and usefull, as well as being pleasing to the eye....makes flying so much more enjoyable when everything is in easy reach as well as looks good!

Anyway, I could ramble on for a long time, but if you're interested I think you could easily get things lined up nicely and still fit everything in a neater package as far as height goes....just takes a little tweaking. Contact me off list if you'd like some free advice. I'm happy to do a quick/sloppy layout for you for free if you can handle it taking a bit.

My 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

If your looking to free up space and shrink the panel a little bit more:

If you drop the Air Gizmo mount on the AVMAP that will give a little play room. Mine is installed directly in the panel and is easily removable. Also if you haven't purchased the autopilot heads, Trio now has a combined unit called Pro-Pilot that fits in a standard 3 1/8" hole if the GRT EFIS option isn't available. I have most of my switches which are seldom used in flight located on top of the panel . I had originally planned on a larger panel, but after tinkering with a CAD program decided that the standard panel would work. Here is what mine looks like using a standard Vans panel.

dualefisinstrumentns3.jpg

By rockyjs at 2008-08-26

I'm waiting on the Dynon D10A installation. Might have to go with the new EFIS moving map in place of the AVMAP next year

panelor0.jpg

By rockyjs, shot with Canon PowerShot A40 at 2008-08-26

thanks

Thanks everyone for your input. The instruments shown on the layout are the ones I have purchased so I have to work with what I have. I would like to reduce the size of the panel to the minimum I can get away with and moving the EIS might be a good idea, I'll play around with it and post some more pics.

Martin:)

Back