What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting the Prop?

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

Busy with painting and I want opinions on painting a fixed Sensinich Prop.

What to do and what not to do and what to watch out for!

My idea is to paint only the normal front Grey portion of the sensinich prop Red Metalic with Silver Striped tips, then run clear coat over it?

Thanks in advance
Rudi

A friend just got his Piper 180 out of paint shop and I notice that they painted and clear coated the CS Prop to match. It really looked nice but was surprised that it was allowed on certified aircraft? Would like to repaint my Catto Prop to match my paint job when I get around painting the 7A.
Squeak

Rain, etc will strip it

I noticed rain, etc., will eventually strip the paint off the prop, then they don't look so good.

Rudi:
Yes, you will get erosion if you fly thru rain. Even if you don't plan on flying IFR, you should look into installing erosion strips on the leading edge of a custom painted prop. These won't prevent nicking if you're flying off of unimproved strips, but will offer a fair amount of airborn protection. They look like clear tape and are ususally available at Oshkosh. Don't recall the name/mfg.. but you might contact DAR Ted Gauthier (www.flyballoons.net) as he has used them.

Back